involved in complexity. I'd rather concentrate on my subjects."

For his studio work, Skrebneski shoots with a Hasselblad camera,

often with a 120mm lens. He uses only one light whenever possible,

often the same light that he's used for years, a 1,000-watt GE

incandescent bulb with a 22" reflector.....on the streets of Paris he

leaves the standard tools of his trade behind and wanders

unencumbered through the city with a single, 35mm point-and-shoot

camera.

For your consideration from one of the masters...

Of course he doesn't mention his assistants, grips, set builders , stylists, wardrobe and

make up artists who work under his direction while on set or the assistant(s) who

print(ed) his work. Orthe agent and studio manager who get him the work nd handle the

billing and bill paying. Or the lawyer who reviews his contracts.

Just because a certain approach works for one person, even if they are a master. doesn't

mean it will work for everyone else.

Yes many people do over complicate the technical means of photography. Usually out of

fear, ignorance, or a lack of confidence in what they are doing.

'simpler is better.'..............................................

"I usually try to keep my shoots very simple," "I don't want to get involved in complexity. I'd rather concentrate on my subjects."........................................Nobody in his right mind wants to make work for himself, and using the simplest of technique most often gives the best results, so I think the above 'straw man' is built out of the 'jaded' view/suggestion that others have a first inclination to utilize the needlessly complex when a simpler terchnique will achieve the same result.

Knowing what to use, when to use it, whether it's Skrebneski or some of the masters I admire, involves at times, plenty of problem solving skills, now some can spout the 'aw shucks, wadnt nuttn' line, which is essentially true, but then again these folks also have the flexibility/ability to 'change gears'/problem solving skills to work around a problem/come up w/another way of achieving a shot if that's what it takes.

Simpler is better, I agree, but not always, more to the point I think, is do whatever it takes, and it begs the question, what's simplicity? What's complexity? They're different things to each of us, at times it takes a great amount of problem solving ability to utilize a single light on a portrait instead of using several lights, and so 'simpler is better' in terms of the result IF the shot ultimately looked better using one light, but thinking through the process to achieve a result that looks like the result of something simple, WASN'T NECESSARILY SIMPLE, which is why these folks are masters.

One person writes music all his life, and is surpassed by somebody else 10 yrs old whose ability to write inspired 'pieces' comes naturally and at an early age,...................... simplicity, complexity, neither one has anything to do with it, to me the answer is, did what you try work, and either it worked very well or it didn't.

I don't agree w/the above thread, we're all ignorant of how to do something, until we learn how to do it(simple or otherwise), and eventually how to do it better, that's how we move along the learning curve, and how we learn when to go for the simplest way, or problem solve our way around a problem, I believe you ought to at least try to learn how to do both.

Consider the portrait photograher who meets a client who happens to be a overweight, balding in spots, and overly wrinkled middle aged woman, who asks you to make her look glamorous,............you may in fact make her portrait look utterly natural and simple without being obvious about it, how you went about doing that wasn't simple in any way, the fact that there was a fair amount of problem solving/compexlity in getting the shot won't be evident in the shot, if you don't telegraph the technique, if it is obvious, then you've messed up,............................so I think the above statements while on the 'face of it' make sense, they miss the mark in what a photographer by way of experience, the growth process et al, needs to have in his head.

I appreciate what posters have written. I just happen to like simplicity and it didn't begin with SKREBNESKI. I also happen to like HCB, who primarily shot with a 50mm lens. I'm a minimalist. I agree with the hypothesis that it does require masterful problem-solving skills. I keep telling myself to get back to the basics, where you can really get a handle on what it is you're doing. In my mind if you can't do it with 1 or 2 lenses, then probably you can't do it at all.

BTW I love my Olympus PS but it wouldn't be my choice for walking around in Paris. I'd much more prefer to take my 'blad w/ 50mm WA lens.

SKREBNESKI

http://pdngallery.com/legends/legends12/

I haven?t been to Paris in a few years so I don?t know the latest political issues. I would imagine that as a city with major tourist revenues they aren?t going to stop everybody from photog some its historical bridges and locations. But I could be wrong.

If they don?t allow much photog, then it doesn?t matter whether it?s a PS or ?blad. The last time I was there I took my FM2 & 35mm f/2 and I was seriously disappointed with my results. So much that I sold off my complete Nikon kit. I carry a Leica for my snaps. But for cityscapes I really prefer the detail the? bald offers. Bon jour.

'I appreciate what posters have written. I just happen to like simplicity and it didn't begin with SKREBNESKI. I also happen to like HCB, who primarily shot with a 50mm lens. I'm a minimalist.'..........................Yes, but what does that really mean?

I went to the link w/some of Skrebneski's images, that are a couple that are dynamite, 'Givenchy in red', and the Diana Ross images, the Diana Ross images used one light, the lighting scheme is simple in regards to how many lights he used, he only used one, but that isn't the point, it's never the point................it's how he developed his vision, w/nuance, and execution, incorporating a bunch of elements ...........he chose a particular bacground, a particular reflector, a particular position, Diana Ross is dressed a certain way, she has a certain pose, expression, her arms are in a certain position, the lights a certain distance, and a certain distance from the background, which is getting a certain amount of spill from the key,.............so Skrebneski has all these choices/judgement calls, and he orchestrates them all into a cohesive whole, and IT WORKS, that's not easy, that's not simple, IT IS a minimalist shot.

Take away the background, take away Diana Ross's clothes, all the props, take away everything except the light, and have 10 photographers start froms scratch with one light, and Diana Ross, and how many of them will have the vision, the skill, the technique to come up with something as interesting as Skrebneski came up with in this shot?

It wasn't the one light that made this shot, it was what Skrebneski had INSIDE HIS HEAD.

I agree with all you said. My point is ancilliary to yours. That is, keep the hardwear simple because that isn't where the real action is.

Amatuers like myself would be in a real world of hurt with the extra lights, props (yuck), and all the other stuff. I wouldn't waste my time with all the extra stuff, which is why I'm probably not a professional photog.

BTW I hired a photog the other day to photog my wife, kid, and myself as a family. And the first thing she said was she had some nice props. I almost fell out of my chair. I'm a great fan of August Sanders. Leave the props at Pier 1.