D200 acting bizarre occassionaly

mksnowhite

This has happened three times now...and its been since I got the

vertical grip. While focusing and or panning the camera suddenly does

a bunch of pre flash type things ttl and a grid thing comes up. It

won't stop unless I turn off the camera. Last time I actually turned

it off and it stayed on!! None of my focusing settings have changed.

Do you think the grip is causing some connection problem or

something? I have 2 batteries in it.

These stories about the D200 are really scary. Banding, faulty electronic circuitry... What

next? Did I really do well to order one?

With the encryption scheme in the D2X WB, the obligation to buy NC, the unavailability of

so many lenses, parts and accessories, the delays in delivering the D200 and the 18-200,

the decision to favor the big electronic megastores with the D200 instead of the serious

dealer and photo shops, the lack of QC, etc... Nikon have really damaged their reputation,

going from serious professional quality and service brand to just another consumer mass-

market business in a little over one year.

This is really a shame.

Think about it, Bernard. You're fine in ordering a D200. There have been maybe 10 - 12 things mentioned on this board out of -- well, how many sold and in use with no problems? Hundreds of thousands ? There are probably more problems with refrigerators that are sold new.

When you build something as complex as any of the brands of dSLRs, there will be a few that don't work properly. And there will be a whole lot of user error that is noted as product error (not that this is what's happened here -- just in general). If we're going to have seriously complex products, we have to face it that they absolutely will not be 100% perfect. It's just common manufacturing to get it as right as you can and understand that once in a while someone gets a stinker. We just all try for it not to be us.

Conni

OK Chris you are correct. I think becuase I was not used to using the vertical grip it put my hands in a different position. Quite a duh moment for me. I'm red faced.

Bernard...you are overreacting. It was pilot error...I've shot over 3K images with it and haven't had a problem...and this was not really a problem! It's a NICE camera and have zero regrets on the purchase.

No need to be red in the face. I did much the same thing and was preplexed for some time

until I noticed the custom menu item that turns off the modeling flash.

You can turn it off in either menu e4 or f4.

Custom Settings > Bracketing/Flash > Modeling Flash (e4)

Custom Settings > Controls > FUNC Button (f4)

I don't know what's going on. I'm hearing all these people complin about the D200. I was one of the first people in Arizona to receive this wonderful piece of machinery the second week in January of this year. Sense that time i have blown out over 6000 shots. I have the two battery grip and i think it's great. i use the epson 4800 pro printer and never once, not once did i ever have a problem with banding. I have talked to many of my pro friends who have checked it out and they tell me if there is a banding problem it up in the real high ISO over 800, reality, how often are you up that high, 99.9% of the work most pro's do , very seldon go over 500 or 600, normaly your down from 100 to 300. Concerning the grip, check the pins, you may have bent one when you installed it. if it is a bent pin it will cause a short causing the problen you described. Other then that i think it's the greatst thing sense sliced bread the shots are spectactular. So I wonder what's going to happen when the D3 is announced in September?

Sorry about the (earlier) image size, forgot to size it<div>00FgFb-28864884.thumb.jpg.b7c41e2753f74f8598cc21bbb59d6542.jpg</div>

I bought one of the very first ones. I had long banding in shots with blown out areas. I just

got it back from El Segundo and they repaired the long banding. I still see short banding on

shots that have areas overexposed by about 2 stops or more from ISO 200 - 800 (where the

banding starts getting lost in the noise). But the post fix camera shows no significant

banding in normally exposed shots so for the moment I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...