making vcd in photoshop

I created a slide show w/ ps using high res (20 or 30mb.)jpeg photos.

I burned it to dvd. The quality of photos when displayed on a

television screen is terrible, they are extremely grainy and not at

all how they looked on my computer monitor.Also only certain dvd

players are able to read it. Anyone know where I went wrong?

Most DVD set top players will show JPEGs. For best results, size the JPEG files to fit the screen (e.g., 480x720 pixels). Use the sRGB color space.

It's hard to say what you are doing wrong at present. It's not clear what you mean by "grainy." Regardless, images can be made to display clearly on a TV. Good luck and keep trying. Maybe read the manual.

Even VCD format images should look decent, at least as good as a good VCR would, though it's not clear why you would use VCD format to burn a DVD.

The images are *way* too large, though. That may be the cause of your poor results. Best to burn with images that are closer to the size of the final displayed image (720x480).

"Anyone know where I went wrong?"

You went wrong with your expectations.

Possibly you need a better understanding of VCD, DVD, or DHDVD - high definition DVD.

Every video format has it own standard definition of quality, as already explained by others, that most likely matches the quality of TV video.

VCD and DVD are destined for display on regular TV set, and no matter how good are your photos, 30MB, 100MB, 300MB - all the quality will be thrown away and reduced to TV quality.

HDDVD is tailored for better quality display on the HDTV.

Then you can make a different type of Slide Show that will only play on your computer, and pictures will be dynamically scaled to the video resolution and color depth of your computer display resolution, e.g. 1600 x 1200 pixels, or better.