with a hot deck of Tarot cards or a Ouija board that may shed some

light?

My gift card is burning a hole in my pocket (the only reason I would

consider Staples for such a purchase) but I can wait if a new

version is on the mid to near horizon.

Happy Spring

Drake

Good link Peter! I was a little bummed to read this though:

"Think Secret's August 2005 report on Photoshop CS3, code-named Red Pill. Specifically, Adobe is still leaning towards releasing two versions of the software, with the Premium edition packing additional functionality geared towards the video and science markets."

Two versions of Photoshop? That's not gonna make things any easier.

"Both versions will offer Live Filters, providing non-destructive editing, as well as speed enhancements that will take advantage of video card (GPU) acceleration, Camera RAW 4, and Rotating Canvas."

I'm all for speed enhancements. In fact, I'm not using CS2 yet because I've heard it's such a hog performance-wise. PSCS doesn't exactly blow my hair back on a dual-core processor PC with 2 gigs of RAM.

"Video I/O and rotoscoping tools will remain exclusive to the Premium versions."

That sounds like a support nightmare to me. I hope I'm wrong. Hell, I don't even know what "rotoscoping" is or why I'd need it. I hope they don't take too much "photo" out of Photoshop.

"The new version of Photoshop is also said to feature an InDesign-like interface with similar palettes and an all-new scriptable graphics and programming engine."

Perhaps this will be a good thing, I don't know. I do know I could think of a few other items that I'd hope they'd address before monkeying with the interface. Sigh...

Adobe CEO has said publicly that Photoshop traditionally has an 18 t o24 month cycle between versions , so tht would indeed point to late 2006, especially given the open reports from Adobe's CEO of lots of help from Apple and quite likely Microsoft now that MS has shelved the high end photoediting and graphic editing program work of the past three years.

In the meantime, yes PsCS2 is well worth the $170.00 upgrade price even if it just carries you through the next nine months.

You can order the PsCS2 upgrade directly from http://www.adobe.com

Thanks for the link Peter.

I have waited awhile to upgrade, though there are some tools I would like to have I may certainly wait to see if the new version is announced by mid summer or so. Like many folks I have a hard time justifying the cost of each version. I'm sure that once we have access to the rotoscoping tools we will all wonder how we got along without them, er it, ah whatever.

"Hell, I don't even know what "rotoscoping" is or why I'd need it."

Rotoscoping is an animation technique. A film of an actor or the "live action" is projected from the back onto a rear projection screen easel. The animation artist traces the animation cell using the projected film as the basis for each action movement between cells.

The projector, easel, etc. is the "rotoscope."

This is why I recommend to my coworkers and friends to upgrade much used software as soon as it comes out, that is the best way to squeeze every last penny out of it.

Also, skipping versions may create steeper learning curves that cost more money in terms of time then the interim upgrades would have.

There will always be a new version on the horizon.