Which (if any) MF systems support 6X9?

al_divenuti

Fuji g690bl is rangefinder with lenses from 50mm-250mm. The lenses are hard to find though. The old fuji is brass and delivers excellent results, very simple mechanical camera. The Fuji g690 also has interchangable lenses. All other Fuji since have had fixed lenses, and the top and bottom plates are polycarbonate, much lighter but weaker.

A good used Fuji g690bl with standard lens goes for about $680 on ebay. The extra lenses can be pricey, depending where you buy of course. I have seen a few lenses, but resisted the premium cost.

Older folding cameras are far more compact, but have fixed lenses.

Cheers.

There's not a lot of choice when it comes to 6x9 with exchangeable lenses:

The first versions of the Fuji 690 rangefinders had exchangeable lenses (later versions had fixed lenses).

Or you might get a small LF-type camera/field-camera (or a monorail) with a roll-film back - in that field there are a few options by Linhof, Graflex, Horseman, and others.

Mamiya Press (includes Press, Super 23, Universal) and Graflex XL. Used, fairly easy to find. For modern lenses in robust focusing helicals on the XL, go to www.skgrimes.com, look for propaq.

If you want to get the most out of 2x3, look for a 2x3 view camera. They exist, only the Galvin is relatively inexpensive.

And, as has been mentioned, there are 2x3 press and technical cameras made by, e.g., Graflex, Linhof, Horseman.

The names that Graflex put on their cameras are very confusing. In that line your candidates are Speed, Crown, and Century Graphics. Graflexes are SLRs, somewhat limited. To reveal my prejudices, I shoot lenses from 38 mm to 480 mm on 2x3 Graphics.

The Horseman 985 I have is a nice upgrade from 6X6 for me. The camera is a limited type

view camera with a smaller range of tilt and shifts with a groundglass focussing screen. 120

roll film is placed in a removable back to give 2 inch X 3 inch negatives. The camera is a field

type camera which folds up compactly (compared to a 4 X 5 view camera), and even has a

built in rangefinder if you need to focus more quickly. I chose this over a 6 X 9 back for a

standard view camera for portability, and to see if I enjoyed lugging more equipment than a

Hassy and two lenses.

The vast majority of photographers that I know who shoot 6x9 use the Mamiya Press. It's the most economical and convenient system around, the Fuji is lighter but more expensive and the lenses are not suppose to be as good as as the newer fixed Fujis and and the Mamiya is faster to use than the Graflex, though the Graflex is certainly the most versital and is also inexpensive.

Nathaniel, the original poster asked about " a system that permits the use of interchangeable lenses." The Medalist, solid performer though it is, isn't what he thinks he wants.

Roger, I'm still not convinced there's much an Alpa can do that a Century Graphic can't, except perhaps claim Swiss origin and look expensive. And yes, I still use an ex-F135 38/4.5 Biogon on my Century. You needn't tell me that I'm an ignorant barbarian, I admit it freely.

Cheers,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
Although not much of a solution, the Rolleiflex SL66 has a sheet film adapter which, from what I've read, allows shooting 6x9 images on sheet film. As said, not very useful though, and expensive, considering most of the large negative is left unused, and getting the shots developed is a pain.