Monitor/Printer match

I have a Sony LCD monitor. It is calibrated using a ColorVision

spyder. I have an Epson R2400 printer and a R320 printer. I use

RawShooter to manipulate RAW files from a Canon D5. I load the (TIFF)

files into Photoshop CS, where I crop and adjust image size.

I Photoshop I select Document Untagged RGB. My profile is

PremGlsyBstPhote.icc (or the profile for Enhanced Matt). In Print with

Preview, I choose Premium Glossy Photo and check Best Photo. I turn

icc off (no clor adjustment) and high speed off.

The resulting prints do not match what I see on my monitor -- not even

close. The Epson prints are darker, more saturated. The same procedure

using the R320 produces prints that are even more dark and saturated.

Any suggestions as to what is going on, and how I should start to

correct the problem?

I think the problem may be that you are choosing Untagged RGB. Doesn't RawShooter attach

a profile to the processed image (sorry, I don't know RawShooter at all)? If so, you should let

Photoshop use that profile and map it to your monitor profile.

For example, I use Adobe Camera Raw and my processed raw images have a ProPhoto profile.

Photoshop uses that image profile to map to my monitor and my printer. I get quite good

results on my Epson 2400.

Where did you learn to do things this way?

In RAWshooter choose a workspace (a workspace is a device independent color space (a monitor or a printer profile is a device and the profile compensates for the mechanical characteristics of that device like Adobe RGB(1998), ProPhoto, or if you must, sRGB. Also output as 16 bit per channel not 8 bit. This last step is optional.

When going to print, first duplicate the image and convert the dupe to your paper profile. Make sure you choose either perceptual or relative color rendering.<P>

See if that gets you a better print.<P>

Now go to amazon.com and order <A HREF = http://tinyurl.com/q89jq> Color Management for Photographers by Andrew Rodney</A> You'll have to trust me about this, this is one purchase that will more than pay for itself many times over.

Or, you can go to a book sotre, order a cup of Jo, and pull a few off the shelf and read. Which is what I have done on quite a few times. I also have bought quite a few books. But, this allowed me to pick the best one for me. It almost sounds as if you are using your printer profile as your working profile.

Also, are you using the Adobe gamma loader in addition to the ColorSpyder? You only want to use one at a time. Then, you need to choose a working profile, like Adobe RGB, ProPhoto, etc. Then, after you have completed all of your color adjustments you soft proof the image for your specific printer/ink/paper combo.

For me with RAW I use ACR, 16 bit mode, and recently I have been playing around in the ProPhoto color space (I like to tinker). I do all my adjustments, which are few as I have become more adept with ACR, and then soft proof.

The best thing to do is buy a book. You will save time, paper, ink, frustration, etc.

Doug,

A couple of solutions. Firstly when you calibrated your monitor how bright was the luminance ? LCD monitors are very bright and if you have them turned right up then you need to match your print viewing lights similarly. You could try turning the luminance down to 100 cd or so.

You may also need custom printer calibration to improve the match. Have you tried using softproofing within PS CS ?

Another possibility is that you are double profiling, do the prints have a colour tint to them ?

Ian

http://profiles.colourperfect.co.uk