Digital Camera to grandfather old SLR systems?

rick_hensil

Now that digital cameras are getting so cheap and ubiquitous, why

isn't there an "old-SLR" compatible model with a sort of Adaptall-like

system to take Canon FD, Olympus, Minolta, etc. lenses? Seems like

someone could make a killing with such a camera as it gives tens of

thousands of expensive lenses out there a new lease on life.

If this happens, of course, Canon FD prices will shoot through the

roof--think it's time to start buying up lenses?

Umm... Canon's digital SLRs are compatible with all Canon's EF lenses. Adapters for using FD lenses are available, however you lose things like autofocus.

Zeissophiles have been using Zeiss lenses on digital SLRs -- again, adapters are available. However for most people the major loss of covenience is not worth the marginal gain in image quality...

Nikon DSLRs use Nikon mount lenses, Konica Minolta uses Minolta mount lenses, Pentax

uses Pentax lenses ... For most of them, most older lenses can be used with restrictions on

metering and features. Many older lenses are now enjoying a renaissance in popularity,

within the manufacturers' lens/body compatibility line.

Canon EOS bodies have the shortest register which allows more adaptation of other lens

mounts to Canon than any other brand. Unfortunately, Canon FD bodies had an even

shorter register so Canon FD lenses can't even be adapted to Canon EOS without optics in

the adapter.

Tamron's AdaptAll system is still around and still viable for some lenses. But "one size fits

all" lenses have to be built to a greatest common divisor standard, which ultimately limits

them.

Godfrey

Canon DSLR's can use Zeiss, M42 screwmount, Olympus, Nikon and Leica lenses via adaptors without losing infinity focus. FD loses Infinity focus.

4/3rds Cameras (Currently only by Olympus) can do OM mount via na adaptor.

Nikons can support Leica and M42 screwmount via an adaptor but the lower-end bodies do not meter with non-CPU lenses (eliminating even AI and AI-S Nikkors from consideration)

Konica Minolta can do Nikon and M42 via adaptors (And Ziess, Leica and OM if the adaptors exist, not sure about that).

Pentax supports Pentax 645, 67 and M42 lenses via adaptor.

All these will work with infinity focus and stop-down metering. The register on FD mount is so short it requires the use of optics in the adaptor (Resulting in focal length change) or the loss of infinity focus.

I am not so sure that it is bad for profit to keep the lens mount compatible backwards as both Nikon and Pentax did. I dont think Nikon lose as much sale on new autofucus lenses as they gain sales because Nikon manual focus owners will continue to choose new Nikon bodys in the future, at least in a higher rate.

Yeah, the MC/MD manual focus Minolta lenses are the only common systems truly

orphaned, although the FD adapters are pretty useless, making them half-orphan.

I think the pre-AI Nikons can't be used directly either, but they've been unusable on

current bodies for a long time, and can be "AI'd" for a pretty reasonable cost.

Even Leica M and LTM can be used on the Epson RD-1. There's something really funny

about the idea of a 30's Summar on a digital body.

I worked with Nikon cameras and lenses for thirty years, but the ability to mount a lens

alone was not compelling enough for me to stick with them:

<br>

- I haven't liked nearly any Nikon bodies since the F3.<br>

- None of the Nikon DSLRs that I can afford support metering with the AI series lenses.

<br><br>

I first sold my Nikon gear and bought Canon EOS, which worked very well but I found to be

large and a little clumsy for my work. I then discovered the Pentax *ist DS. It's small, light,

and

supports metered operation with lenses all the way back to Pentax M42 screw mount. And

I discovered that Pentax lenses were very very good on rendering qualities, the equal and

sometimes better than Nikon and Canon. And the old lenses were going for a song when I

got interested.

<br><br>

That said, over the past nine months, I've replaced all the old lenses I originally purchased

bar one with modern, state of the Pentax art lenses. The concept of using old lenses is

cool, but overall there's just more to be had from the camera with lenses that allow you to

exploit all the modern features.

<br><br>

Godfrey

The post about "There's a LOT more profit in selling you a new camera and a bunch of new lenses. Eventually you'll buy them, even if you resist for a year or two." is dead on. Digital anything translates as "planned obsolescence". Olympus will give you a free adapter for your OM lenses when you buy one of their 4/3 camera's. They will also tell you the OM lenses won't work properly due to physical characteristics(=limitation) of the imaging chip. Check out the full explanation here:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/pdf/FourThirdsSystem.pdf

• 4 years later...
<p>I think there would be a market for an FD mount digital SLR. I have a few wonderful FD mount lenses that I still shoot with. If there was a digital SLR for FD mount, I would certainly purchase one just to keep using these beautiful old lenses. I don't think that such a camera would take away sales from the autofocus cameras as I also have autofocus canon digital and film bodies and a few EF lenses. They are two different systems and in a situation where I don't need fast focusing, these old lenses are really a joy to use. I wish the marketing guys were also photography guys....they just can't seem to look past profits and sales and ultimately it is the consumer that loses.</p>