clients that live more than 30 minutes away? I recently expanded my

advertising and I'm getting inquiries from people who live an hour or

more away from me. Since I don't have a studio, I have been traveling

to my client's homes to meet with them. If I was definately going to

book the client, then I wouldn't have a problem with traveling an

hour each way, but since it's an initial meeting I don't know what to

expect. How would you handle it? And no, the answer isn't to just

advertise locally.

I do have client's that come from 30-45 min away. They come to my home.

I meet with them in my living room. It's a nice comfortable, well decorated environment.

You might consider meeting half way at a hotel lobby or a Starbucks. I'd go for the hotel lobby. Hotel's don't usually even know if you

are a guest or not so it's a great place to meet.

If you put prices and galleries on your website, then 90% of the time when they want to meet with you they have already decided to use you. (in my experience). I travel to Houston (about 45 mins - 1 hour) to meet with clients all the time at a local Panera Bread (coffee shop) or Starbucks. These locations have wireless internet capabilities, along with comfy couches and coffee tables to spread out your albums. I don't like to meet at their homes due to distractions. Kids, pets, whatever. :) It just seems more professional, if you don't have a studio, to meet in a neutral environment, buy them a cup of coffee and relax. Not to mention it's a lot easier to find than a house in some obscure subdivision. Basically, if you want the business in the nearby cities, you have to be willing to travel to meet with the clients. You win some, you lose some, but hopefully gas money for the meetings is also included in your general expenses, and you charge enough for the weddings to cover it.

That's what I have been doing, but I recently received an inquiry over e-mail. The woman asked if I were available and I replied yes asked a few details about the wedding. She replied with the details. I replied once again and offered to meet her in a town that was 1/2 hour in the middle of us (she lives about an hour from me) and I never heard back from her. My gut feeling was she thought it was unprofessional of me to ask to meet in some coffee shop. That's what I have been doing all along and it seems to work pretty well. I guess this was the "lose some" part of "you win some, you lose some".

At WPPI last year we went to see Alicia and Brooke speak and I was surprised that they don't have a studio- I mean- these people charge $7000+ for weddings. But he made a point of "qualifing" people first over the phone and he said he would drive 4 hours sometimes to meet potential clients if he felt like he could book them. It was interesting...

We meet in Mary's living room. It's a seperate room all wedding-ed up. And we seem to book more if she serves this certain type of cookie- no joke...

Not having a studio (and this might be controversial)lowers cost! We state we are a residential studio, thus we pass the savings onto you (the customer). We are not trying to undermine them, it's just that we simply have lower cost. Frame your statement that you are a "Residential Studio" and at every opportunity you try to pass on the savings and then meet them in your home office (a nice display room) or the local Starbucks. Most of our backups are Studio folks, its a great community, we are all at different levels.

Starbucks! I hang out a lot at my local Starbucks anyway, always carry a camera with me, and sometimes go through stacks of proofs or contact sheets while drinking my morning coffee. I meet a lot of people there and have picked up some photo jobs that way, but so far no weddings.

Same thing here. My home is way to small and 4 kids running around, way to noisy. I have a few places I meet at and so far it has worked out for me. One place I meet at is a little small that serves smoothies, I sit at the same table everytime (right next to the blender) can be a bit noisy at times. I would love to have a studio in the future though.

Tim, I'm sure your photos come across more artsy that way too! I've only done one "client meeting" so far and we met at a 99 Restaurant (their choice). I like the hotel lobby idea though as it is quiet usually, attractive area with comfy chairs and a coffee table. Some coffee shops can be a bit noisy and crowded. (though I guess hotel lobbies can be too)

Hi Todd,

I have booked with clients who are out of state but coming here for their wedding, so

meeting for a consultation meeting isn't an option. I have done everything over the

phone, sending collages of weddings via email, showing them my website of course and

giving them access into our proof events for them to see an entire wedding. I have also

given them referrals if they are really nervous about booking through someone they have

not met personally. So far, it's working wonderfully.

Darice