Nikon to EOS Adapter.... focus confirmation works?

j_robinson2

Am looking at getting the Nikon to EOS adapter. I know I will have

manual focus but wonder if the focus confirmation light still works

when using it this way?

Can I just set the camera for aperture priority, stop down the lens

& let the camera choose the shutter speed if I go this way?

Focus confirmation NO

AV priority camera will select shutter speed, but some lenses at some appertures will be off by .3 EV. No big deal.

Love my AIS 105 1.8 and 180 2.8 ED on EOS. Get alot of funny looks.

Would suggest Hoada focusing screen to assist focusing if you use D rebel or 20D.

I have a couple of those adapters. Just tried out my f/2 24mm & 85mm AIS Nikkors on a new 5D.....I Love It!<br><br> ... It's sort of like running your audio through an old tube mic preamp before sending it to be recorded digitally. I'm going to dig being able to use these lenses more often at the focal length that they were designed for. <br><br>

Focusing is a bit difficult when stopped down of course because you're cutting light (just like if the DOF preview button was held), but in bright or controlled situations it's fine.

J, email me off thread. I've just purchased one of those adapters from an ebay retailer-- it exceeded every other version i've had to date. Real machined metal, and a joy to use. Worth every cent. NO, focus confirmation does not work, but everything else does.

"RS", you're not supposed to focus when the lens is stopped down. First open to max aperture, focus, then stop down to the desired aperture, meter and take the picture.

Also be aware that the EOS 30/33 (Elan 7E/7) doesn't meter properly with adapters. On very old EOS models (before 1991), the aperture value must be set to 1.0.

Lazy Sod - Thanks, yeah, I also focus the way that you describe. Sometimes it's just faster and bright enough to focus stopped down. <br><br>

I'm not sure if there's much that you're "not supposed" to do in photography as far as technique goes. Everyone has different ways of working for what they do in differnt situations. And rules were meant to be broken.

Focus confirmation only works with EF lenses and won't work on anything using an adapter.

I use T-mount and m42 lenses on my 300D & 350D, and it works just fine. Some lenses seem to meter strangely, so I'm thinking that it may be related to lense coatings.

Just for interest, I use a Nikon 14mm f2.8 AF and 50/1.4 AIS on my EOS cameras but strangely enough the 20mm f3.5 UD mounts on the EOS Elan IIe but not on the 10D. I am going to take a hacksaw blade to the back of the 20mm to remove a huge chunk of metal that is in the way. No idea what the heck it is doing there.

Last week-end I think I had a woman in total shock and those around me that could hear. I was getting awesome shots of my daughters swim team using my, new to me, 10D completely manually with manual focus lenses and a 20 year old high end auto thyristor flash. She had not had any success with her D70 in similar conditions, so when I explained to her what I was doing she thought it would be a good idea to get a good photography book from a library to start really learning about what she was trying to do. Take care.

• 1 year later...
WARNING When I tried my new Nikon>EOS focus confirmation adapter on my 20D it fried both the lens mount electronics and other circuits inside the camera for a repair estimate of over $300 (now underway at a Canon-approved repair facility). This turns out to be a very dangerous place to experiment.