beauty shots with RZ

david_altmann

wich RZ lens do you use for beauty shots ? (im talking about very

close headshots) on a 35mm i would use a 180mm at least. that means i

had to get the 360 apo or the 500. the 500 is not fun to use anymore

(not talking about the price), i dont know about the 360. i also dont

know many people who use the 500. what do you PN people use ?

250+TC ? cropping ? a digital back ?

David

Most people would proably use the 150mm or 180mm in the RZ lens family. I'm not sure what focal lengths are available in the RB line.

I have the 180 and it's a nice sharp lens but too heavy to use hand held for any period of time. Since most of my shooting is hand held I'm thinking of checking out the 150mm. It appears to be a little smaller and lighter.

The 180mm lens will focus down to 3'7.7" and has the maximum magnification 0.26x. That should be close enough to fill the frame with just a face. Check <a href=http://www.mamiya.com>Mamiya's website</a> for specs of other lenses.<br><br>

Mamiya has belows focusing so you can focus closer than with most other cameras. Some people even use the 127mm standard lens (RB, available in K/L design) for potraits.

I've got the rb and a 180. While you can certainly get close enough to get a head to fill the frame, I didn't care for the look (feature exageration). Try renting a 250 if possible. I don't think you'll need the 360, but I wouldn't rule it out. I haven't tried the tele tube, but losing a stop wasn't attractive.

You could always crop the 180 frame. How big an enlargement do you entend to make?

thanks for the answers so far, the problem is not the focussing, actually this gets worse with longer lenses. but i would never ever use a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera for a headshot. even a 85 is very short. but everyone uses the 180 on the RZ, this is exactly my observation. i could use the 180 and crop 50% of the slide but thats not the way to use this camera.

David

The best I've gotten with my 180mm was head and shoulders. A couple weeks ago while visiting family I tried to frame just my neices face in the entire ground glass and found I couldn't focus it. I had to move back and then the image came in sharp but again I had to fit her whole head and most of the upper body to do this.

Miles i also think a 180 is simply too short for close headshots. i can recognise pictures taken with a too short lens easyly. i know in the art scene people love to take portraits with shorter lenses. its _interesting_. interesting is not commercial (sadly).

Marc its not a matter of focussing, you simply use one or more extension ring.

David