old 28mm PC on D2X

michael_borland

I have an old 28mm PC lens (serial number 177XXX) that according to

the D2X manual should not be mounted on the camera. I'd like to use

the lens, but obviously don't want to risk the camera.

Does anyone know what the issue is here? Can the lens be modified, or

do I have to sell it and buy a more recent version?

Thanks---<a href=http://photos.smartbean.us>Michael</a>

I believe the barrel of the lens extends a little below the mount. If you try to mount it on the D2X (or any other Ai camera) the barrel will conflict with the indexing tab on the camera.

I'm not sure how serious the issue is with this lens, you could try mounting it gently - it may go on with a tight fit as some earlier PC lenses do. Don't force anything - you'll know if it works or not. Otherwise you could have the barrel trimmed back so it clears the tab.

I had a 28mm PC f4 lens modified to safely mount on AI/AIS bodies. A little material is removed from the barrel so it won't drag on the indexing ring. I don't know how much it cost, because I had some other work done at the same time. I used Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain in Davenport, Calfornia, but there are other repair shops that can do it too.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I tried mounting it on my D2X, and encounter some resistance after twisting the lens about half the required amount. It mounts easily on both my N90s and D70. The N90s mount looks just like the D2X, so this is a bit puzzling. Maybe my N90s mount is worn and things are looser. Looks like I need to get the lens modified.

--Michael

<i>I tried mounting it on my D2X, and encounter some resistance after twisting the lens about half the required amount. It mounts easily on both my N90s and D70. The N90s mount looks just like the D2X, so this is a bit puzzling.</i>

<p>

Do you have manuals for your N90S and D70? Do they have specify which lenses may not fit? Just curious if they also mention the 28/4 PC or not - I have a web page of Nikon lenses and try to include some details of lens compatibility if a serial no is given:

www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

<p>

Can you see where the resistance comes from? Is the lens starting to jam up against the Ai tab - perhaps the tab on the D2X is slightly longer than your other cameras? Or is the lens coming up against the CPU contacts inside the camera?