FT3 with SB-28 flash

ken_kartes

Yes it will work in auto mode and variable power mode. It's a good speedlight for the Nikkormat FT3. As noted above it will not work in any TTL modes as the FT3 does not support those. The Nikkormat FT3 has a 1/125th second top flash sync speed. That and the variable power settings, 1/1 to 1/64, will allow manual daylight balanced flash.

Regards,

Dave Hartman.

Biggest challenge I had using a 28DX with an F2AS was figuring out how to change the ISO on the flash the first time. Absolutely could not figure it out (in a dark bar without the manual).

Turns out you have something like five seconds when you first turn the unit on to select the ISO with the 'up down' arrows. It's non-intuitive because modern cameras will set the ISO auto-magically. Other than that, it's a remarkably versatile flash for use with older cameras. You find yourself muttering, "Why couldn't I have had this flash 25 years ago?"

Ken -

No, I don't have a 'typical' setting. My F2AS bodies are mostly for available light, and I don't use flash with them often. The flexibility of the 'new' flashes is such that I usually evaluate what I'm trying to do and select an aperture that makes the most sense to me at the time. I suppose I'd start at f/5.6 with no other inputs. The flash will show you what the appropriate 'range' is for the ISO and aperture selected. I usually try to use the flash (in auto) at something like the 'lower third' of its range so I get fast recycle times. The few times I have used the flash on my manual bodies, I have not felt the need to bias the exposure (with print film). Results were fine. I used the sync speed (60 or 90 on my F2).