Tamron 90mm f2.5 macro vs. tamron 90mm f2.8 macro. Any optical difference ?

katherinea

I'm considering the tamron 90mm macro, and am wondering if there is any difference

between the older 52BB version (f2.5) and the newer 72B version (f2.8), other than that the

new version goes 1:1 ? Is there any difference in sharpness ?, any difference in color

saturation ? (when shooting with film).

There are some slight differences optically. The newer lens is a better performer, most clearly at longer focal distances, but the older lens is still very fine. Of course, the older lens requires a suitable Adaptall mount (or e.g. Nikon Adaptall mount + Nikon to EOS adaptor if you have an EOS camera - EOS Adaptall mounts are rare and expensive), and is manual focus and has a manually set aperture when used with some camera bodies. The older lens is beautifully built, with a solid metal barrel and ultra smooth focus operation. There was an excellent comparative review conducted by Geoffrey Crawley (well respected reviewer) of all generations of the lens when the latest Di version was released published in Amateur Photographer magazine a little while ago (2004). The newest, Di version is better still. You can buy a copy of the review here:

http://www.testreports.co.uk/photography/ap/stock/Model.asp?Model=12235&ModelPage=true

I can add my wife has the 90mm f2.5 adaptol (in Pentax K mount), 49mm filter. It is a nice lens, looks kind of chunky, but the optics are where it shines. So much so that she has won some a few large nature photography contests from images made with this lens.

Thanks to everybody for their responses. It's good to know that the old metal one can

have such fine optics. From other places on the net I've done research on, it seems it can

just depend on the particular sample. It might just depend on the prices I have the

opportunity to buy a lens at as to which way I go.