Mockba 5 and 20' Air Release

trw

Hello

I have a Moscow 5 folder and was thinking of running a roll of film

through it at a wedding this Saturday.

I notice that the shutter is fairly resistant, even with a cable

release. Has anyone tried an Air Release on one of these, and know if

it can be triggered, or if it just squishes but doesn't fire?

What if I fill the hose with some form of incompressable fluid

(hydraulic fluid or water)?

Trent,

I would advise against putting fluid in the air release hose. Sounds like an invitation to disaster.

I'm wondering if the shutter release linkage is bent and/or binding. Are you using the cable release on the shutter housing or the threaded hole in the body shutter release button? If there is a hole for the cable release on the shutter housing itself, you might want to try the cable release there and see if that makes any difference.

(I have a Mockba 5 camera, but it's at home and I'm at work right now, so I can't look to see if it even has a hole on the shutter housing for cable release. The body shutter release button might be the only threaded hole for using a cable release.)

--Micah in NC

"I just meant that you can't trip the shutter via the little lever on the shutter. If you do, you won't be able to wind the film easily."

Not true. The Moskvas have a double-release lock, but NO double-wind lock. You can wind the film forever, doesn't matter whether you released the shutter via the body release or not.

I've had the wind lock mechanism on a M-5 apart. From what I recall, its the same design as an red window wind Ikonta. There is a clutch with wings that trip the double exposure mechanism and things can get quick gucky in there. When the wind lock trips, the rotation changes from rotation of the entire mechanism to just rotation of the inner part of the clutch, which is probably the source of the roughness.

Its a pretty simple job to disassemble and clean the works, and its been necessary on 2/3 cameras I've worked on with this mechanism. Ikonta 521/16 is very easy with its tiny 1/4 top plate, Super Ikonta requires the entire top plate to come off if memory serves. Might as well clean all the viewfinder/rangefinder optics while in there.

About the release: there is a shaft with triangular wings up to. The shaft is either pushed down with the cable, or the wings catch the bottom of the button. In either case, this shaft is pushed so the double exposure interlock should release no matter whether one pushes the top deck button or cable release. No interlock on the shutter release lever itself of course.

If the release is running rough, it may require a simple cleaning and drop of light oil to make the shaft run smoother. There may also be grime in the arm which transmits the motion to the shutter. This can be cleaned sort of half-assed with the shutter on, but its easier to get to all the grime if the shutter is pulled from the body. A lot of resistance is not normal.

<P>I found I couldn't use a cable release on my Moskva 5 so I'm pretty sure that an air release won't work. The mechanical linkage to the shutter is not very precise and it just binds up as far as I can see. I think the fold-out section of the camera is slightly misaligned.</P><P>Your idea of using liquid in the remote release is ingenious but I don't think the joints in the system would withstand much pressure.</P>