Some recommendation on a inexpensive AF body to use with MF lenses?

nuno_campos1

Hi,

I am looking for an inexpensive (I mean very cheap) Nikon body to

have in the car that I could use with my AI and E series lenses and

I realised that some of the first AF bodies are less expensive than

the MF bodies, that they can meter with those lenses, and that I

will have aperture priority program with them. I ran a search and

the N6006, N8008/N8008S and N70 are within my budget.

Right now I am slightly bending to the N8008 (has DOF preview and it

seems to be better build) but the N6006 (specially this one) and the

N70 are less expensive and they have a speedlight...

My questions are:

- Since these bodies do not have a split image viewfinder can you

tell me if they are difficult to focus correctly manually?

- I know that I will loose the matrix metering but will I still have

the spot metering (BTW, the N8008 has spot metering or only the

N8008S) with all that cameras?

- Is there any less expensive camera that I can use with the AI/E

lenses and that could give me control over the aperture and shutter

and TTL flash control?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Nuno Campos.

I would suggest an N90s/F90x. They are compatible with AF-S lenses and use AA batteries.

If you don't need to drive AF-S lenses, you can get the N8008s/F801s. However, AF-S lenses become MF only on them. They also use AA batteries.

The N8008s, N90 and N90s all have a built-in spot meter. The earlier N8008/F801 (non-S) has no spot meter.

I used to own an N70, and focusing was never an issue with older lenses. Worked just fine

for me. Don't know how it compares to the other bodies you mention, but it is very cheap

right now ($125 or less).

One downside of the N70 is that it uses non-conventional batteries, a bit expensive and not

as easy to find as AAs when they need to be replaced. I also don't know how the camera and

batteries might handle being stored in a hot/cold car for long periods of time.

I use a N8008s with manual AI Nikkor lenses and bifocals on me and find it an excellent viewfinder and easy to focus....you also will benefit from the electronic rangefinder indicator in the viewfinder which works off the centre focus point and confirms focus. I bought mine used. Years ago when the N8008 first came out I bought one then and loved it but had to sell it to cover rent during a "work stoppage". The N8008s has a faster autofocus than the plain N8008, and it has spot metering while the N8008 does not.

Ditto to N8008(S). Though showing its age as an AF camera, it's still very good value for money as an MF.

As for focus aid, N8008(S) do have screen options. For that matter, it happens that I do have a J screen (microprism spot) for F801/N8008. I bought it from ebay for trimming down to fit my wife's D70, though that yet to happen - when her D70 works so well with the kit zoom, why bother :-)

If DOF preview and the faster flash sync are required for your type of photography, The N8008S or N90 are your best options.

If you can live without those features, the N6006 is a very capable camera. It has some good functions such as auto-bracketing, although I have to say I've never used this feature and the implimentation is awkward.

Probably the best feature is exposure compensation and flash compensation built into the camera. This allows you to use any basic TTL flash for great fill-flash shots in aperture priority. You can also set slow-sync and rear-sync flash. With many other cameras these controls are only available if these controls are built into the flash.

The camera will operate in manual or aperture priority mode with manual lenses.

The camera is rather noisy, especially when rewinding film.

The viewfinder is bright but lacks contrast so is not the best for manual focusing - it is hard to tell the difference between "in focus" and "nearly in focus". I think most of the AF cameras you are considerng have the same problem. Fast prime lenses with a narrow DOF help though.

If you are shooting purely manual lenses, the FE or FE2 would be nicer to use. Are you sure they are too expensive?

I've had both the N8008s and the N70. They're both very good cameras, but the one I still have (although I haven't touched it in nearly a year) is the N70. It's just a lot quieter than the N8008s and will do nearly everything the N8008s will do, and is lighter, so I kept it. However, the built-in flash on mine has pooped out.

Well, if you're moving from something like a higher-quality Nikon MF body (FM2, FE-2, F3, etc.) you may have higher expectations than others with respect to durability and service life. I know I did. The N90s and 8008/8008s, despite their age, have very good reputations for long trouble-free lives. The 6006 would too, except for the stupid battery door latch that frequently breaks.

I have a couple of N70s that have taken a lot of abuse and produce nice results with my AI/AIS lenses. The focus assist and the metering system are great. My only gripe with this camera is no DOF preview. I've never had any trouble getting batteries for these at WalMart. I would definitely recommend one for your intended purposes. Hope this helps.

Rick

I am moving, in fact, from a high level MF body. I am the proud owner of an FG (LOL). I could buy another FG but I find quite useful the AF bodies spot meter that the MF bodies do not have.

And the AF bodies are, in fact, less expensive. The old MF bodies are classics and the old AF bodies are just old, hence the difference in prices.

The N70 is a great body. (Relatively) fast autofocus, spot-metering, bracketing...You can work around no dof-preview by unscrewing the lens a bit when you need it. My only complaint is that it is 'slow to handle' (not slow as far as autofocus or shutterlag go), it has all the great functions, but cumbersome menus. Not a great camera for photoreportage or sports, but a brilliant all-around-camera.

I do photoreportage, so I bought an F4s with no menus to slow me down, just buttons. But I still use my N70 (as a backup) for everything else.

I still have an 8008s and love it. The AF isn't what it is on newer models, but I seem to almost always manually focus anyway, even w/ an AF lens on. Never used the N70, so I can't speak to that but if you are deciding between the 6006 and the 8008/8008s, it's an easy call to go with the 8008s (and make sure it't the "s" if spot metering is something that you want).

N8008s. I used to have one and it would fit with what you want it to do, especially at the prices they sell at lately. There are several focusing screens available for it, but they might be hard to find. I was using a Beattie Intenscreen grid with mine for awhile, so if you can't find a Nikon screen they should be able to help.