50mm and the Leica M6

jonathan_auch

Hi there everyone, I am new here but have been lurking frequently.

Recently I just bought a used m6 classic, I knew the first time I

picked up a leica it was something special, the camera is in excellent

condition I love the action and the feel. With the camera I also got a

summicron, a newer model with the rectratable hood, and man it is

sharp, contrasty and good.

Here's where I am looking for advice, I mostly shoot with 50mm lens as

my standard, I do mostly documentary work, street photography and

photojournalism and have noticed that with .72x viewfinder the 50mm

frame is relatively small. Now it is not unusuable by any means, but I

was wondering what the advantages of having this viewfinder vs the .85 is?

I plan on shooting with three primary lens, 35mm, 50mm, 90mm. Would

there be any disadvantages to finding a .85 with this setup?

Thanks for your help,

-J

Stick with what you have and learn all you can about it and the 50. The 35 and 90 as auxilliaries are reasonable since that is the range Leica has been desigined around for the past fifty or so years. If you don't have eye problems the .72 VF should not present any troublesome issues. After you have learned the ins and outs of the M6 the way it is you then might explore a different magnification on the VF, but I've used mine for twenty odd years now, and though I have since had cataract surgery, I can still use the it comfortably. Glasses are a PITA anyway and they would be equally so with any magnification.

The "loose" viewfinder on an RF camera looks odd to people who are used to the tight framing of an SLR, but has a lot of compositional advantages once you're accustomed to reading the frame lines. The .72 is a nice compromise if you plan to use the 35-50-90 set. Happy shooting.

You would want then a .58 for the 35, a .72 for the 50 & a .85 for the 90 if you followed your reasoning.

Stick with the .72 as others have said - use it for a while - the framing is not what you are used to with slr's - the advantage is that you can see outside the edges of the framelines & capture the image as it unfolds - kind of like sniping in an odd sort of way.

Use it and learn to maximize its potential. I have an .85 finder on mine which works well for the longer focal lengths. It is all what you get accustomed to anyway, and not worth worrying about unless you have a particular eye problem. It was great that Leica offered a menu to buyers...but it has caused countless anxieties for new users who "worry" that they didn't get the optimal finder, when most viewfinder users just adapt and do fine.

As I use mainly 50mm lenses, I had both my M6s converted from 0.72 to 0.85 viewfinders.

It's a great improvemeent because, otherwise the 50mm VF frame is just too small. I don't

have any problem with the 0.85 VF for the 35mm frame; and for 28mm, I prefer in any case

an external VF. A great improvement!

--Mitch/Manila