Tripod for Pentax 67II

akavalun

I am planning on upgrading my 35mm system to the pentax 67II with

lenses no longer than 200mm. I currently own the manfrotto 3221WN

with the 3047 pan/tilt head. I've read that there is a significant

vibration with the shutter, as well as the camera being quite heavy,

and that one needs a very heavy tripod. Is this tripod sufficient

for the system to be purchased?? I will be doing landscapes usually

using f-stops of 16 and 22. Thanks for help.

I agree.... I think you'll be fine. I usually use what would be the next general size up (the 3046) with that head on the older P67's and it seems to handle things just fine. The smoother 67II will likely be well controlled with MLU and common sense on the tripod you have. For hiking, I use the Gitzo 1320 that is about the size of yours. I have a 3047 head on that one and I've had good luck with the package for field use.

Having owned the pentax 67 (and 645) for a number of years with the same basic tripod/head combination that you have I have found that nothing will keep the shutter (not the mirror) from kicking except draping a weight across the top of the pentaprism (I use my camera bag full of heavy 67 lenses--about 10 lbs.) especially at 1/30 sec. and slower, though for really long bulb exposures of over 5 seconds the kick becomes such a small part of the overall exposure that you no longer need it. The only problem that I have had with this technique was that the tripod head would usually slip a little from the weight so the framing would need to be checked and recomposed if necessary, though I eventually eliminated this problem by switching over to the 410 geared head which is much more resistant to slippage as well as being easier to compose with.