D200? Is it that time?

beau_schwarz2

The 20D does not have a spot meter and peforms very poorly in backlit situations. (It's a chimper's delight.) And it's impossible to focus it accurately manually unless you use the focusing indicator (in which case there's no advantage over just plain autofocus).

And "full-frame" sensors are only useful if you have a big investment in older wide-angle lenses. The new ultra-wides and digital-only ultra-wides (like the Canon 10-22) are as good or better than anything that would require a full frame.

Finally, the images from an 8mp or better digital is superior to color negative film and at least as good as slide film.

"The 20D does not have a spot meter and peforms very poorly in backlit situations."

===========================

Those are a couple factors in my decision against the 20D. It was an impressive camera, but I knew that much of my photography with a dSLR would involve really tricky lighting, such as theatre and nighttime school sports. Also, the 20D viewfinder wasn't significantly better than the D100, D70 or E-1. It's a great camera and I've seen some phenomenal photos taken with the 20D. It just didn't happen to meet my requirements.

And *that's* what I'd suggest anyone do when considering a major commitment to a dSLR system: First decide what your needs and wants are. Then find the system that comes closest to meeting those standards.

It's a cliche to advise against buying based on the brand name. But it's also important to avoid being swayed by the musical clown show that accompanies the introduction. And if a particular camera is lacking something you think you need - such as a full frame sensor or backward compatibility with legacy gear - maybe it's better to keep waiting.

Personally, I was surprised to learn that the D200 included AI/AI-S compatibility. I'd figured Nikon had decided backward compatibility wasn't important for dSLRs below the pro level.

Either way, D200 or 5D, I'd be inclined to wait six months for early reports of reliability from users.