What is the right price to pay?

evan_litvin2

Hello, I'm considering going in a whole new direction in terms of my photo gear. I'm

considering selling my Nikon D100 and the rest of my Nikon system in order to buy a

Leica M6ttl or used M7 and a nice little 8 mp digital point and shoot. The market for

D100's is going down fast and I'm thinking that I dont shoot professionally so I dont really

need the DSLR, and I have always been interested in Leica M camera's and I've even come

inches away from purchasing one. I think now might be the time to switch.

So now the question: What is the market like right now for used Leica M's? I'm mainly

interested in either an M6ttl or used M7...what should I expect to pay for one? What price

should I hold out for, for one of these bodies?

It was about a year ago that I came really close to buying one and I posted a ton of

questions on here about the camera as well as Leica in general... and I received excellent

responses... (I almost felt bad after asking all those questions, that I didn't end up buying

one!)

Thanks for the help!

Evan

Used M6's are going for low prices right now, compared to their original cost. I saw an M6 classic, an early one with E. Leitz engraving, going for $899 in a local camera store. M6 TTL's cost more, mayb e an extra $100 more; and TTL's with ,58 or .85 finders will add stil another $100 or so. So expect to pay $900 to $1250 or so for a body.

Lenses, on the other hand, are holding their value and rising. With another price increase on the way, you should not wait too long! Check eBay completed listings, and also watch KEH.com to become familar with prices.

Evan,

You ought to try a rangefinder to see whether it's something you're comfortable shooting with, before selling your Nikon equipment and taking a leap of faith that Leica will transform your phototgraphy.

Assuming you're still in Boulder, the best way to do this is to rent the M7 and 35/2, plus perhaps the 90/2.8 at Mike's Camera for the weekend, and shoot as many rolls of film as you can. Mike's is participating in Leica's recent 'try before you buy' (aka rental) program. They have a limited range of M and R equipment in the program. I was quoted $50 to rent the M7 and one lens - fully refundable if I actually bought something afterwards.

Cheers, Stuart

Evan,

Yes - that M6 TTL is long gone. This year has been a bust photographically for me, with too many other things going on. As for Mike's, I wouldn't have thought about them being a logical choice to look for Leica equipment. Sure, they put on Leica Days twice a year, but their inventory was almost always non-existent. That was till about 2 months ago, when Leica must have thrown them a bone with this rental program. Their own (non-rental) inventory includes an MP, 35/2, 50/1.4 (pre-ASPH), 50/2 and 75/1.4. The Leica rental inventory includes an M7, 21/2.8, 35/2 and 90/2.8.

Of course, if you do decide to buy a Leica, I'd strongly recommend finding a good used M6 or M6 TTL. As Rob said, their prices are relatively flat. But the used lens prices have continued to rise in line with the new prices. So if you had to get one before the other, I'd say buy the lens first, and the body second...

Hi Stuart,

Do you have any recommendations as to where to look for the M6 or M6ttl? I'd like to spend

as close to 1000 as possible. Do you know of any stores in the Boulder/ Denver area that sell

used Leica? Last year surprisingly, Mikes had a great deal on a used late model M6 classic, I

think it was like 900.00. I really want the ttl though, I plan on doing some flash work with it.

(speaking of which how are the Leica flashes? I know someone who uses Metz with their

Leicas. Thanks

Evan

Evan -

If Mike's had an M6 for sale at $900, I pity the fool who traded it to them. Probably got $300 as a trade towards some other (overpriced) equipment.

We're not all that well served by camera stores any more on the Front Range, but a few I can think of that you might call are:

S&S Optika. Kathy often has consignment items.

Englewood Camera. Seems to be the least-worst supply of used cameras, but it has been 18 months since I was last in there.

Camera Trader. Occasionally have used items, and very occasionally have some deals. Again, it's been a while since I visited.

All three stores are south of downtown Denver. The downtown stores I would have recommended 2 years ago are no longer viable. Werner's Mile High is out of business, and Denver Pro Photo seem to be hurting.

But I'd be very surprised if prices you find in the stores are even close to what you're hoping for. I'll email you offline with some other options. Your best bet may be to post a WTB ad here on the forum.