Battery consumption / Image Stabilizer

istvan_sandor

Not a lot. That is to say I don't really notice any reduced battery life when shooting with IS lenses, though I'm sure there is some.

I wouldn't even begin to guess at what it might be compared to a similar non-IS lens. A lot of the power drain (especially with digital) comes from the body and lighting up the LCD screen.

It's less than the AF uses, which Canon says is around 20% of battery consumption on the MKII N....and thats not noticeable at all as that camera is very power conservative. I get a week out of one battery now...whereas with the old 1D I was lucky to get one basketball game!

JS

The larger the lens with IS the more juice it uses. I first noticed it with a 300 2.8, I was

going through batteries faster. The 500/4 seems similarly thirsty. The 300/4 IS doesn't

seem to use as much as the 300/2.8. Never tried to make a quanitative measurement, too

busy taking pictures :-)

I agree it can't be much, I use IS lenses on Film cameras and I get no significant decrease compared to just regular USM lenses. So on a Digital Camera which is a power hog compared to film, I have to think it is less than 5%, and I would not be surprised if it was like 1%.

Jose Gil , dec 12, 2005; 06:27 p.m.

Depends on how long you half press for. The entire time you're half pressed, the IS is running.

For me (and I half press for a long time waiting for that moment), I'd say 30%

Not according to Canon. Accordingto Canon IS is only active for so many seconds, if you do not push the shutter down all the way in the alloted time or the camera doesn't move the IS shuts off and will restart when you push the shutter part way again.

JS