Lester A Dine Ring Light on a Nikon D70s

Anyone out there ever tried using a Ring light (other than Nikon's) on their

D70s?...I'm trying to use a "Lester A. Dine" Ring Light (using the Lester A Dine

105mm F2.8 Macro lens also) on my D70s in manual mode (both camera & flash) &

the camera is not letting the shutter release..Any ideas as to why?

Scott

I have tried all the settings & can't get it to work...Nikon support of course says contact the Dine carp....& Dine says "The problem you are experiencing is a result of an issue with both the manual lens and the flash on the D70." Of course they suggest that I buy a new lens/ringlight for $950...BTW, I also tried to use an SC28 to no avail as well...The Ringlight/lens combo I have is the Sunpak made ringlight with the NE-2D dedicated foot(says for Nikon F3/FE/FE2/FG/FA/EM) It came with a Nikon N2000 & the DIne 105mm F2.8 MF Macro (made by Kino Precision)....Is this the same as what you have?

Scott

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem. Have a D80 and the Lester Dine ring/point flash. I use Camera on manual, and tried both TTL and auto. The flash does not work when set on battery with my camera. when I switch to the AC setting it works synchronized one time, maybe two times (last time weaker flash).

In other words I CAN make it work by turning the switch fra AC to battery a few seconds, then go back to AC and shoot, then back to AC to charge, before I go back to AC to shoot. Strange, but at least a way to use the flash.

I would very much like to hear explanations. Maybe one can block some of the contacts to make it work on battery.

• 8 months later...

I have the same setup and it doesn't work =( When I got it, it worked for a few times, then I don't know what I did. It stopped working and the flash indicator keeps flashing.

So anyone finally got it to work? The lens is awesome though :-) Can't wait to go out and take macros.

I just use my SB 600 (in manual ode-off camera) for illumination be it fill or primary light source...I normally set it anywhere between 1/4 to full poer about 1-1 2/2' from subject & adust my aperture as needed (I use 1/250 sec or better shutter pseed if I want to exclude any ambient light like this example <http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1244/1165004600_9b8c3dc487_o.jpg> or slower if I want ambient light on the scene like here <http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1324393593_a7082118e1_o.jpg>...I gave up trying to get my ringlight to work...

• 8 months later...
I just purchased such a lens and ringflash setup. On its way to me. I want to use with a D40 and D200. So set the camera to TTL and it "may work"? If it doesn't, will a Wein remote photocell trigger allow it to work with the pop up flash then? I am not sure why it wouldn't work direct. I am an EE, can someone explain what has to be converted to/from? Are there power or duration settings on the flash itself? Anyone have a manual they could email me?

• 11 months later...