Nikon lens to Canon EOS addaptor

brian_donaldson1

I just received my addaptor in the mail. Got it off FleaBay for 31USD

with shipping (25USD + 6USD). I tried it out on my 20D and although I

am not 100% satisfied, it will do just nicely.

The lens I will be using are the 28/2, 50/1.4, 135/2.8 and 200/4.0.

The lens are just a wee bit loose in the mount. One can feel a little

play when focusing.

Speaking of focusing, Canon needs to do something about their focusing

screen, or better yet, lack of a focusing screen. Not eveyone wants to

use auto focus all the time, so a better focusing screen is needed.

That is the major complaint I have about using the addaptor; focusing.

Other than that, I do plan on getting some more Canon lens and maybe

some Sigma lens. But for now, I have a stash of Nikon glass that are

waiting to be used with my digital. :-)

There are countless posts about this. You didn't say what camera you are using though.

Everyone knows that a 1.6 camera will have an accordingly smaller viewfinder therefore, not particularly good for manual focus.

There are 3rd party screens which may or may not be available for your camera model.

I have used one of the Nikon to EOS adapters from Ebay and they were excellent (they were also cheaper than what you paid but, the prices may have gone up). I was able to use all my Nikon glass without problems but, in the end it was too much of a hassle and I ended up selling the adapters and the Nikon lenses.

Now that the 5D is coming I may give manual focus lenses another try since the viewfinder on the 5D is like a 35mm camera.

I'm doing this with an XT, and Zeiss lenses right now. I just ordered and had shipped the Haoda split prism bright focusing screen. Rest assured I'll be annoying everyone with the results.

Right now, I've pushed 2 shoots forward because I can't focus either my 50 or my new 85/1.4 to save my life LOL; obviously whatever wide I choose and buy will be easier to focus because of the inherint DoF in a wider lens...even if it's still relatively not-very wide. I mean at f/1.4 of course...stopping down is fine, but definitely not bright. I hope the Haoda is both a little brighter and much better suited for this.

There's definitely a price to pay for going manual, but I'm willing to fight it out myself.

Shawn

The Nikon was my first choice for a DSLR, but...

1. The Nikon DSLR I was looking at did not have 5 fps.

2. The 20D had ISO 100, the Nikon did not.

3. I checked but was not 100% sure if my older Nikon lens would work on the Nikon DSLR.

4. Even at the 400USD price, Canon glass is still (right now) on the expensive side.

5. I improvised, addapted, and overcame my short fall for lens by selecting the appropriate course of action.

About Yakim's comment:

Only Nikon's professional DSLRs (D1 and D2 series) will meter with manual focus lenses. A Canon DSLR with an adapter therefore provides better functionality with these lenses than a D70/D70s/D50.

I can understand why Nikon doesn't provide open aperture metering on the D70s/D70/D50, as it requires more parts. However, there's no excuse for not providing stop-down metering; that only requires a minor firmware upgrade. Nikon could then provide automatic stop-down, which is impossible with the EOS to Nikon adapters. When a non-CPU lens is attached, a D70(s) could then do the metering when the DOF preview button is pressed. On a D50, which lacks such a button, stop-down and metering could be done while pressing the AE lock button; the lock action should then occur when the button is released. But I suppose we'll se nothing like this until Nikon's marketing droids discover that users of Nikon's MF gear go to Canon instead of Nikon when switching to a DSLR.

I think it was a smart move since the only place I see Nikon going is to a lawyers office to sign for chapter 11 at the rate they are going. Like Lazy Sod said, my Nikon lenses are more functional on my 300D with an adaptor since I can actually METER them than they would be on a D100/D70 camera. Nikon's backwards compatibility is so dodgy that I would rather abandon a lens set than deal with it. What course did I take? I sold my FM2n, but some F Mount to EOS adaptors from Giampero, and now shoot with my Nikon lenses on my 300D. As for my focusing? Well lets just say that I turn the focusing ring slowly while I set the camera to rapid fire ;-)

I've found a fairly cheap and well-made adaptor at Fotodiax

(www.fotodiox.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_

id=164&osCsid=9090cb29ee3358f96d1f14144c02a74). I have

older prong indexing lenses that won't work at all on the Nikon

digitals, but work just fine in stop-down aperture priority mode on

the Canon EOS 20D. Focusing is a problem, but you can

"bracket", use a magnifier, or just be very careful. This way I can

also use my old 35mm PC Nikkor shift lens and not have to by

the (also stop down) Canon shift and tilt for $1000!