colleendonovan

Hi all!! Remember that thread awhile back about someone offering

free wedding photography? The bride signed up before a certain date

and then they were all entered in a drawing? Well, I just wanted to

let you guys know that I put something like that on my website on

my 'specials' page. I couldn't resist trying it. I'll post again

later and tell how it went. http://www.comidophotography.com

Colleen,

I've thought of trying similar specials, but how would you control the "drawing" without someone getting upset that it might be unfair or fake? Many people are very suspicious nowdays. I'll check out your website.

I also see so many marketing questions here, including me especially, that I think a good long sharing of marketing ideas might be worthwhile...a laundry list of techniques.

If you are decided to do that special, you should make that offer more noticable.<br>

Make that offer POP out from any page, so people will stop and stay before they click out.<br>

Good luck. - I hope it works out for you.<br>

Let us know how it goes, keep us updated.

I remember that thread, and I remember stating that this may be illegal in most states in the U.S., and probably is.

I was wrong. There are federal laws connected to these contests.

Colleen, your sweepstakes is ILLEGAL! This is one of those "contact a lawyer" situations. But not just any lawyer, one that specializes in sweepstakes and contests.

Official rules? Method of winning? Consideration for winning? Entry? Odds of winning? Cash value of prize? Cash substitution? Prohibitions? Restrictions? Where can consumers get the winner's name? Anybody auditing the method of winning? How can a consumer contact them? Is all this information conspicuous?

Colleen:

What Derek said. If I hadn't known what to look for, I wouldn't have found it.

As it is, you will most likely end up giving a discount to somebody who would have paid your full price, already.

Ask yourself...would you enter a drawing for a "free" item if you had to pay for half the item's value up front, and if you weren't drawn, you were committed to buying the item, anyway?

Doubtful that you'll get business you wouldn't have gotten anyway. Like I said, you'll probably just end up giving money back needlessly. The whole idea behind loss leaders is that they get people into your store that wouldn't otherwise come in. Or that once your regular shoppers are there, they'll buy the stuff with a much greater profit margin.

Colleen, please research the legalities of your promotion. There's a reason why Sweepstakes

have "no purchase necessary" as part of the rules. There are a host of other rules and

regulations governing contests and sweepstakes also. Mostly to protect the public from

unscrupulous charlatans ... not from honest, hard working folks like you.

While it is highly unlikely you'd be called on it, all you need is one disgruntled person to blow

the whistle.

Uh oh. Guess I'll do a little more research, but I don't think it's illegal. The drawing was going to be at the Bridal Fair our town does in February and I was going to have someone else draw the name. And announce it in the paper and on my website as well as the bridal fair. Maybe not. My brother in law is in the FBI. I'll ask him. Thanks you guys.

Seriously ask a lawyer, have him or her draw up the rules and explain to you how you need to implement this. If you are not going to spend the time and money on a lawyer then I would not go forward. Your FBI brother in law may be able to guide you but still consult an lawyer, the last thing that you want is to be caught running an illegal lottery.