Which Tilt/shift lense

tim_kong

Hi all, I am looking for a tilt-shift lense to do mainly

product/food photography. I don't do much achitectural but would

like a lense that can do both. I understand there are 3 such lens in

the Canon line-up but I am not sure about which focal length to

choice for my specific requirement. Would welcome any

sugeestions/recommendations. Thanks.

If you are doing architecture, then the best one is 24/3.5L. For product, it would depend on size of product and how much studio space you have. If you have lots of space, then the 90/2.8 may suite. Otherwise the 45/2.8 would be a good general product lens. But the 45/2.8 (or 90/2.8) is not really suitable for general architectural shots. A good setup would be both the 24/3.5 and 90/2.8. Hope it helps.

Thanks Jean for your reply/suggestion. Unfortunately, I am living in a remote part of Malaysia and I don't have the luxury of testing different lenses. Most dealers do not keep any stock of expensive lenses except comsumer grade types. As such, I have to rely on suggestions from fellow PN members on this matter. Please note that it will take weeks to get the lense in and there is no refund policy here. Like I said, I am using this lense primarily for food/product photography and maybe some achitectural in future. Thanks for any advise/suggestions.

A lot depends on the product size you want to shoot.

The EF45 has an minumum focus distant of .4m, this mean largest full frame object is 3.7 inches, you will need a 1.4XTC or close up lens if the product is smaller than a man's watch (with band). On the other hand the 90mm has a maximum magnification of 1:2.9 can be used with smaller product. However if you are shooting product 3 feet in diameter, you will need a big room if you use the 90mm. Take a zoom or few prime, test the focal length out before you buy.

The 24mm may be less useful and may not be best for product shots.

Hope these help.

What focal length would you use if you didn't need image controls? This is

the key to your answer. Make a few tests with ordinary lenses, as Tommy

(and Jean-Baptiste, I think) suggested.

Were it me, the 1.6 crop factor probably would make it a tough choice

between the 24 and the 45. If architecture is a significant consideration,

I'd probably lean toward the 24.

If you need moderate closeups, the 90 is worth considering, although with a

full-frame equivalent field of view of 144 mm, it's a fairly distant

perspective, and probably not very useful for architecture.

Dear Tim,

I would suggest that you should start with the 45mm lens (as I did), especially as you have the built in 1.6 factor with your digital camera. I have since added the 24mm and the 90mm lens. The 24mm lens is more suited to shift use whereas the 90mm lens is more suited to tilt - to increase the depth of field while keeping the aperture fairly wide open. The 45mm lens, whilst not a compromise between the two, does have the advantage of being able to use both functions to a useful extent.

Although not officially reported by Canon, you can use teleconverters with all three lenses. So if you already have the 1.4x and/ or the 2x converter and you get a 45mm lens then you will also have a 65mm lens and a 90mm lens.

Incidentally the 90mm lens does focus quite close and may be better for small product photography.

Best Wishes with your decision.

Ian

You can always make use of Julian Loke's lens calculator:

http://ca.geocities.com/lokejul/jlcalc.htm

It will handle calculations with a TC and extension tubes (which can be used even with the 24mm TS-E). Just set the camera from the drop down menu, the focal length and the minimum focus distance and play - look at the field of view data. Because the calculator uses distance from the front nodal point of the lens, you may need to tweak closest focus distance to match the maximum magnification of the lens. The magnification data can be found at eosdoc:

http://eosdoc.com/manuals/?q=TS-E24f35L

Use the menu for the other TS lenses.

Thanks everyone for your advice/recommendations. Looks like the 45mm is better suited for my use, especially on a 1.6x crop factor camera. My subject average about 15in in diameter and I can work with variable distances to suit the shot. Anyway, you guys are very helpful and for someone who have no access to "trials and errors" type of purchases, this forum has been my bible.