Steinheil "Patent" lens - more classic than most?

I was looking through my stash of recent aquisitions, and discovered I

have a REALLY clasical lens: a "Steinheil in München Patent" lens, no

other designation except the serial number 4749. I think this must be

a very early Aplanat, made very shortly after the patent was granted

in 1868? Anyway, I'll try it out soon - full aperture until I can make

a set of slide-in stops.

Older than most, anyway.

Ole, I can't help recalling remarks by my wife and her sisters after their mother died. As we emptied the old lady's apartment, the daughters kept on remarking "This is old. It must be valuable." Old, yes, valuable, no. With respect to lenses, as opposed to Biedermeir (spelling?) furniture, there's no accounting for collectors' interests.

All teasing aside, do let us know how it shoots.

Cheers,

Maybe there is a part missing of this lens. I found an old ebay offer for a plate camera, with a lens with a name plate ring "Antiplanet" around the barrel. The seller found the engraving "Steinheil M�nchen Patent" on the lens barrel itself.

The Antiplanet was an early ancessor of the anastigmat lenses. It was similar to a triplet but with a cemented front element.

Winfred, the Antiplanet has a MASSIVE cemented rear group - my lens has a cemented pair very similar to the front pair. The curvature of the cemented surface in the front group is also very different - the Aplanat is strongly convex, the Antiplanet slightly concave and nearly flat. Picking up a lens will also tell the difference: In the same barrel size an Aplanat is nearly all air, while the Antiplanet is nearly all glass.

Besides, the first Antiplanets had much higher serial numbers.