35/1.4, takes 46 mm filters as opposed to 55 mm filters for the Leica

24/2.8 ASPH, has detents for 1/3 stop, and focuses to 0.5m vs 0.7m

for the Leica.

Instead of a focus tab, the 25/2.8 has a small focus "ridge" which is

much harder to use by comparison. They should have either put in a

proper focus tab or left it plain. Overall fit and finish looks and

feels slightly cheaper than Leica, but it's just nit-picking. ZI uses

a slightly more shiny metal compared to Leica's brushed aluminium

look, which tends to be associated with class.

Mounting the lens was a bitch. It was so rough, I could almost hear

the metal barrel scraping against my lens mount as I turned the lens

on my M3. Do others have the same experience? Is it my M3 or is it

the manufacturing tolerances of Zeiss/Cosina? My DR 50 goes in so

smoothly by comparison. So do my other lenses, including my new

90/2.0 ASPH, so it can't be because my 40-year old lens is worn

smooth.

I snapped two shots on my Provia 400, won't know about the picture

quality till I develop the film, but I'm hopeful, if what Erwin Puts

says about the lens is true. Only thing is ZI screws you for the hood

and especially the 25mm viewfinder (kind of like how budget airlines

give you a low ticket price and hide everything in the taxes and

surcharges), which adds to the effective cost of the lens. Obviously,

they prefer you get the VC 25 mm viewfinder instead.

Will update when I develop the film.

My Planar 50mm fits fine and smooth. The tab is kinda in a slightly odd spot for me, not

quite the same instant grip feel as my 35mm Summicron. The rest of the ring is a bit

slippery for me, the knurling is kinda fine for the lens. I also use the old nikkors with the

scalloped metal focus ring, and find those a bit easier. I've taken a bit of camera back

foam and stuck to the focus ring of the Planar, and its easier to turn. Maybe a large black

rubber band?

Wai-Leong, my M3 is a very snug fit with any of my Leica lenses. It's made in 1957, and only the 1955 collapsible 'cron seems to fit smoothly when I mount it on the camera. Otherwise, my newer 'crons (one from 1960 and the other made in 2002) feel too tight... and the same happens with my Hexanon 35. I guess the M3 mounts are peculiar... or just the M3s mentioned in this thread.

Frank, the answers to all the questions you asked are already in Wai-Leong's first post.

I recently got the ZI 28/2.8 and I have to say that it too felt rough and grinding as I put it

on my (relatively new) MP. To the extent that I spent a couple of minutes putting it on and

taking it off, carefully, to check that everything was alright.

Didn't however notice the same problem when fitting it onto my (new for me, clearly used

but in "very good condition" according to the guy a second hand shop from which I didn't

buy it) M3.

Once I'd convinced myself that there wasn't a problem I had a happy week shooting with

the lens and didn't think about it again. Just went to check and, yes, it goes on nice and

smoothly now.

Otherwise, the build and feel is excellent, I certainly wouldn't bother to differentiate

between the ZI and the Leica. Can't say I have any opinion on the focusing bump but, as a

man who only shoots B&W negs I'd rather have 1/2 than 1/3 stops--it's less counting!

Yes, the ZI silver is brighter than the Leica but then Leica don't make a 28 in anything

other than black, which would be why I thought I'd give the ZI a go.

So now you all want to see what kind of pictures it takes? Sorry, whilst I was away taking

some pictures someone decided to come here and take my scanner. The negs look good

though! When I get a new scanner I shall try and post some pictures if anyone would like

to see them.

I had a 750xxx M3 that refused to accept a 21 pre-asph. And one of my M6 cameras will not lock on a viso 3, so I took a new one from my shelf and lt locks freely on both m6 cams.

Moral is some mounts are trouble. If the 6 was under waranttee, it would have gone back. The viso 11a is my favorite anyway.

Believe it or not, the M mount is very difficult to reproduce accurately (or rather it is a demanding job) and adds to the cost of manufacturing a Leica lens. The screw mount is much easier to machine. My experience is that if the lens mounting surface is damaged or off even in a minor way, the lens won't fit properly, won't seat, or will be difficult to seat. Alternatively, a small amount of grit in the bayonet mount on the camera can also be enough to prevent the lens from seating properly. And you may notice a prblem with one lens but not another if this is the case.

ZI makes this Biogon in black too, yes? They hint at this on their website.

Maybe they're only shipping the silver ones to the state right now.

With such a slow release of all these new lenses, they really are trying to

mimic Leica, aren't they?