Looking to buy a new 1d Mk2 or 1ds Mk2 but have concerns

f1-fanatic

I wanted to thank everyone for helping me out here.. It's a lot of money for the pro body and it's bending my brain a little. ;) I should have mentioned that I usually shoot with a 300mm f/2.8 AND a 2xTC all of this with the 10D and it's 1.6x for a total of 960mm of focal length and at times use a 400mm f/2.8. I guess I am going to have to step up to longer lenses just to get the same result if I am going to be outputting such large files. I can't be the only person doing this... I know the pros are shooting for magazine and newsprint which is very low res, but am I being unrealistic here with my expectations? I guess in the end, I need to do some renting but it's an expensive proposition.

<I>300mm f/2.8 AND a 2xTC</i><P>

Sorry - I should've mentioned this thought: Would it be an option to sell your 300mm f/2.8 and buy a 500mm f/4L IS? If used on a 1D2 with its 1.3x crop factor, you'd be at 650mm. Adding a 1.4x TC would give you 910mm and a 5.6 aperture. If you keep your 2x TC and use that, you'd be at 1300mm and f/8. I think you'd still have autofocus on the 1D2 and you'd also have Image Stabilization too. Even if you didn't sell your 300mm f/2.8, the 500mm f/4L IS is around $5,000 and the 1D2 is what? around $3500? About the same money as a 1Ds2 without the "Bazooka" lens. I know that 300mm f/2.8 is a great lens but so is the 500mm f/4L IS. And it sounds like it might be an option for you to have both. Good luck!

Beau, I usually have media access so I am right on the track. Here is an example of what I am trying to get only with a larger file.

And with the 500 and a TC you loose the AF at least with the one I used a few months ago at this race I needed to manually focus.<div>00DFEh-25203784.jpg.febc0335280f93213f60ae6bcd069a89.jpg</div>

Nice shot Norman! I could be wrong but I think a 1D2 should retain autofocus up to F/8. Not all Canon bodies do though - just the expensive (Type 1) bodies like the 1V, 1D/1Ds & 1D2 & 1Ds2. So I *think* you'd still have AF using a 1D2 + 500mm f/4L IS + 2xTC. I don't own a 2X TC but I do have a 1Ds2 and the 500mm f/4L IS + 1.4x TC and I tell ya - that lens is *sharp* - even with the TC! Good luck!

Thanks Beau. It might be either my 10D or the older 500mm lens that I occasionally rent. But I found that I lost AF and even focus confirmation when using that lens. The photo shown below was taken with the 500mm f/4.5 (non-stabilized) lens and my 2xTC on the 10D. I had to manually focus and (because I am pretty much blind) guess if I was in focus or not. Do you know if it is possible to change the focusing screen on the 1D2 or 1Ds2?<div>00DFTG-25216884.jpg.44c9620ecd736f61b3f391e5ef9fa011.jpg</div>

Yes, you can change focusing screens on the 1D series cameras. I don't think that either the 10D or 20D are "1 series" cameras and thus will not autofocus past a minimum aperture of f/5.6 (I hope I'm right on that) The 1-series cameras, like the 1V, 1Dx/1Dx2's should retain AF all the way up to f/8. So it makes sense that you'd lose AF using a 10D + 2xTC + and F/4.5 lens. Also, the focusing screen on the 1Ds2 is *great*! I've only played with a 1D2 a little bit and it's a vast improvement - the focusing screen that is - over either the 10D or 20D. You can actually see what you're doing. I'm blind as a bat too!

Looks like you need two bodies, at least for now. Keep the 10D for sports until there is a 22 MP 1DsIII and in the meantime get a 5D (?) for wideangle photography and full bike side shots. Over the next 3 years you will lose a heck of a lot less money on a 5D than a 1DsII. These are tricky times.

Love the shots by the way, I have seen your folder before. The 500 with 2x defintely looks a little soft and with a loss of contrast. I got my first press pass this year for a motorcycle race and loved my new vantage points. Too bad the sun only came out for an hour!

Good luck in your decision.

Thanks for the advice.. I am going to do some shooting with the 1d2 & 1ds2 at the US Open. From what I hear the 5D will not have the same AF system which is what I really need here. As far as the shot above with the 500mm and softness/contrast. I had to manually focus the shot and I have really bad eyes... Not having focus confirmation I was guessing so I attribute the softness to my eyes rather than the hardware. Also, as with your first press pass, the weekend I was shooting the bikes in my folder, it pretty much rained all weekend long.

the 20d vrs 1ds mrk2 with the same lens with the pic cropped to meet the 1.6 zoom of the 20d the 20d image beats the 1ds i seen this in popular photography mag. i would love to have the 1ds but the speed & 1.6 factor i can't let go. i would just get the 20d and sell it later!