a "new start" D200 kit

marcofrancardi

The bare essential without hesitation for me would be:

D200, 17-55/2.8DX, 70-200/2.8VR, TC14EII + SB800.

A Lowepro Phototrekker AW where everything nicely fits in.

And a few 2GB CF cards as well + image tank 60GB.

These 2 superb lenses will cover your needs for 99%.

Later you could add a 300/4 AFS and eventually a 12-24/4. But only if you need it.

I would not mind the change of perspective, but...when you are shooting dolphins from a boat or eagles from a rock while wearing snowshoes, there is not much you can move. And, as I said, changing lenses is a big trouble with thick, wet ice gloves on. Or when the desert wind is blowing.

Thanks for all your contribution, most of which very "pro" and food for thoughts.

IMO there is no sense in buying such a nice body and put a superzoom on it. You probably won't get close to seeing the image quality the body is capable of. A 17-55/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 VR combination would be more fitting to the body.

The difference between a good shot and a great one is often in the trouble to which the photographer has put himself to in order to get the shot. The 18-200 is the easy way out but there is more you'll miss than gain by choosing it, I reckon.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any 6x or above zoom, especially from wide to tele, as there definitely will be serious optical compromises. In most cases, those will be consumer-grade lenses for people who prefer convenience over quality. However, I can see some applications for them. E.g. (1) you must go from wide to tele quickly and you don't want to carry mutliple bodies with lenses on and (2) you are shooting in environments where it is not practical to change lenses, in sand/snow storms, etc.

To answer the other part of your question, the TC-17E works fine with the 70-200mm/f2.8 VR as far as taking pictures goes. However, a while ago I tested the 70-200 VR with a a TC-14E vs. 300mm/f4 and 300mm/f2.8 AF-S. Wide open, the primes are clearly superior. Even high-end zooms don't work that well with TC's until you stop down by 1 to 2 stops, and you'll end up with a fairly slow lens.