Is there a problem with email alerts?

ajweiss

I have not received any alerts in the past 18 hours or so. I have checked some threads to

make sure new posts have been made, as well as tested my email for problems.

As far as I can tell, I should have gotten my alerts. Is there something wrong with that

system?

I just notice that on my page:

Account Problems

Email alerts, etc, are bouncing from your email address, xxxxxxxxxx. You should change your address for the system to start sending you email again. If the problem with your email mailbox was temporary, click here to have your email from photo.net resumed.

I have this email address for more than 10 years and never had problems before, what should I do?

Mark, our system is set up so that if we ever have even one problem delivering mail to your mailbox that is classified as "permanent" either by our mail server or by your mail server, then we will flag your address as "bouncing". This means we won't send you any more alerts until you manually clear the flag, presumably after fixing the problem or determining that it was actually temporary.

A permanent problem is not just your mailbox being full or your mail server being down. Those are classified as "temporary" problems by the mail servers. A permanent problem is one where just waiting and retrying isn't going to work. For example, our server might return a "permanent" problem because it was uable to find a mail server in the DNS for your mailbox. Or, your server might return a "permanent" problem if your mailbox didn't exist, or if it decided that our alerts were spam.

AOL has been rejecting a lot of our mail recently for the latter reason. Their spam filters seem to be notched up pretty high. I guess these days they prefer to brag about filtering out spam more than they worry about rejecting valid mail. If we get even one bounce from a mail server because they say we are sending spam, we never try that mailbox again.

• 6 months later...

I am having similar problems with getting alerts from Classifieds, so I don't think it ever was fixed, at least not there. I used to get them, but they did stop and never restart some time last year, no matter how I try and set them up again.

I've checked my workspace and there's no mention of bounced e-mails or any place to clear that flag.

Any ideas?