Another canon website has the 28-105/4 L

Yakim;

I guess we will have to wait until someone actually has the lens before we can say how good it is. I'm sure some of the beta testers have been playing with it, but they can't comment until Canon releases them from their NDA. I suspect we will hear fairly soon after the official announcement has been made.

As I went through the Aussie web site there were no other unreleased products mentioned, including the 5D. I for one am curious to see what else Canon has up their sleeve.

...Dave

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras_lenses_accessories/standard_zoom_lenses/ef24-105mm_f4l_usm.html

still working, how can any one still cry fake, it's on the canon site and canon are sure to know about it by now, if they wanted to pull it they would. If it were hacked then the site would be down like the CPS one was.

I have seen some fake test charts of the fake 24-105L that suggests optically is is not that great. Better to wait for the next model, 20-100 f4L IS which will be released in two years from now at PMA. It will also have the next generation IS which will give an effective 3? stops.

I have noticed a few interesting things about Canon's pricing in different markets. For example, in Australia the 10-22 sells for $A100 cheaper than the 17-40L. Whereas in the US it selles for $100-$150 more.

One implication of this is that Canon has a fair degree of (monopolistic) pricing power across different markets, which it is clearly using. The less technical translation of this observation is "don't feel that Canon is your friend - they are cleverly working out how to extract as many $ from you as possible." I hope no one thinks they are just wanting to make the best camera gear for their customers at the best possible price.

Another implication is that one can't necessarily impute optical quality on price alone. (Of course we should all know this already.) When somneone claims the EF-S 10-22 must be better than a $US500 Sigma 10-20 or some other equivalent because it costs more, the implication from the Australia price list is that the Canon 10-22 should have sold for about $600 in the US.

So I guess you don't always get what you pay for.

For some lenses it is cheaper to fly to the US and purchase than to buy in Australia. Ie the difference in price is more than the cost of an airfare to the US. Maybe Canon fly their L lenses in business class seats to Aus?

for some reason cannon digital stuff is much more expensive in japan than US with the current us dollar =110 japanese yen. Quite a normal rate. It is consistantly 1/4 to 1/3 more, and it is made here. who knows why? Makes no sense.

Another observation. You could fly from Australia to the US business class, pick up the 400f2.8L and return to Australia and still come out ahead compared to buying it at list price in Australia.

These things only make sense if Canon is exploiting pricing power in different markets.

My only recollection of a so-called 'hi-end' zoom in this range with a constant aperture with as much length...was a Tamron offering something like 28-105 and f/2.8...and if I recall, it was a miserable performer.

Are there any other lenses that I'm forgetting about, that have performed well with these specs?

Shawn

What makes those who have commented on the higher prices in Japan, Australia and Europe think that all the extra money goes into Canon's pockets? Aren't there also government money grabs (in the form of tariffs, duties, etc.) at play here? (Yes, even in Japan, where these products are manuactured.)

Robin: "If you look at prices net of all taxes, and convert to a common currency using exchange rates, you still get a large spread."

Can you truly see the prices net of all taxes? When I lived in Germany, they had a value-added tax (Mehrwertsteuer) built into the price of just about everything one could purchase, and don't recall any straightforward and reliable method for extracting the "base price" of the product from the price laden with governmental money-grabs.

You can usually find out what tax level applies to an item. In the EU, most of it is VAT, which is easy to identify but does vary country by country, but some items also attract a bit of import duty. I would agree with you that it is a tedious task to get it exactly right, but the residual differences, for example between US and UK prices, are so big that it is scarcely necessary to worry about the details. A few years ago my family bought me an 85/1.8 as a present (nice family, very nice family ...) and they had it sent from the US (B&H, I think) and paid VAT on delivery and I gather that it was still much cheaper than any UK price, although of course I did not see the actual numbers!

We try. :-)

The pricing differences are obscene. The best example is the 300 F2.8L IS, which sells in the US at $3899. In the UK it sells for ?3199 at competitive mail-order places. This is $5740 at today's exchange rate. Even adding 25% to the US value to cover shipping and import taxes, there's still $1000 difference.

Thinking about it in more depth, two of my four lenses and my current body were bought in the US rather than the UK to take advantage of this.

You can't calculate price just on a raw exchange rate conversion.

Each market is different, and Canon obviously uses the 'what the market will pay' strategy.

The US is consistently cheaper than most places, and prices in the UK, Australia, etc have

no relation to what the selling price may be. From what I've seen, prices are at least 10

-20% higher than the raw exchange rate when converting from B&H prices to UK or

Australian prices.

And for those of you still stuck in the glorious past of $1US to $0.55AUS, get real,

$2000AUS is actually at least $1400US!

Just wait a couple of days guys. It'll all come out in the wash...

Whoever said the Tamron 28-105/2.8 is a poor lrns has obviously never had the opportunity to use one.

I suspect that one reason that prices in Europe and the UK are so much more than the USA is the hidden social costs of employment. These are failrly low in the USA but much higher in Europe. I'm talking about pensions and healthcare for the most part. Along with this you have the overhead costs of having separate distribution networks in each country plus a central one for Europe as well. This has nothing to do with sales or import taxes but are a legitmate cost of doing business. Also, many Europenas pay about half of their income off the top in federal taxes. Then they have to pay local and car taxes plus 15-21% sales tax on nearly everything they buy out of what's left over. It's amazing people in Europe can buy any of this stuff at all given the high prices for it.

Dave, what you say is obvious. I just wonder. Generally speaking even high end L zoom are susceptible to flare. The high 4.3X zoom ratio also raises concerns.

If this lens will have good performance and a reasonable price I will seriously consider purchasing it.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.