Compact super-precise tripod needed for Leica M

nzdavid

Masses of info on this forum, so there are certianly useful opinions here already, but

additional advice would be helpful. I use a Leica M6 with 28 lens for occasional interiors

and architecture (I know, I know...people say MF or SLR, but I like the Leica, and also use it

for travel). I got a Manfrotto digi tripod but don't find the head that stable. I've tried out

various compact tripods, but just too flimsy. Although I was impressed with Velbon Ultra

Maxi when I saw it in the store. My super solid ancient Vivitar is too big to lug everywhere,

and its joints are going. A built-in spirit level would be handy too. Looked at Gitzo, not

sure how fast it is to adjust. Don't mind paying for carbon fiber (after all, my tennis racket

cost a fair bit too). Head is important, pan and tilt as well as ballhead an option - just

needs to be very precise but not too heavy. Leica ballhead?

Thank you for your patience. All suggestions welcome. BTW, I am in New Zealand - we do

have most items available here, though Internet is also an option.

David,

I use the Gitzo 126 Total Luxe for bodies like the Leica M. It is a very compact tripod that is designed and handles like the larger Gitzos.

Pros: It packs well in any suitcase or backpack. Extreme Gitzo quality and precision. Solid and versatile multi-position legs. Not too expensive. Looks like a real tripod, not some plastic and pot metal piece of junk.

Cons: It has the usual Gitzo twist lock collars on the four-section legs, so it's a bit fiddly to set up. It does not extend much beyond a stooped, hunched-over position, though it does have a two-section center column that brings it up to almost eye level for short people (not the most solid position). It's not the lightest small tripod around.

I use it with a small Bogen ball head with QR plate. If I were looking for lightweight, I'd likely get a carbon fibre legset, but for the money, the 126 is the best small tripod legset I've seen.

Stability comes with a rigid tripod and a good head. Add to that "compact" and "Light weight" and you will expect to pay much more.

The head is perhaps the most important consideration, together with the camera mounting system. The best for your purpose is arguably the Arca Swiss B1 and QR clamp. A plate from Really Right Stuff will allow you to mount the lens directly over the axis of the tripod, instead of the takeup spool (a "brilliant" Leica tradition). A ball head is the quickest to set up, and a good ball head (i.e., expensive) operates smoothly and locks up without shifting the aim point.

The smallest legset I'd recommend is a Gitzo G-1228, which is a 4-section, carbon fiber tripod with a rapid column. It is tall enough to be used without excess stooping (unlike the Manfrotto 3021) and about half the weight. Personally, I prefer the 3-section 1227, which is stiffer but longer. I don't mind the size, and recently carried it throughout Spain.

A double-bubble level that fits in the flash shoe is about the best solution for leveling in your application. That's a piece of cake using a ball head. Leveling the legset is a PITA - better to use a leveling adapter, which requires an heavier tripod (13xx series). If you decide to use Arca-Swiss compatible QR, Really Right Stuff clamps have a built-in bubble level.

I won't offer any suggestions for the tripod, since I lean toward heavy metal in that area. (There are three degrees of freedom in tripod selection: weight, strength and price. You can choose for two...)

As for a head, it sounds like you might appreciate a geared head such as the Manfrotto 405 or 410.

I think that Ed has given good suggestions. I also like the 1228 CF, though I have used others. I carried the Leica table-top for years when travelling overseas, but it won't do what you want. I like the Kirk BH-1, though the new RRS may be superior.

I would like to add that I think that New Zealand is one of the loveliest places that I have ever visited. Great scenery and people. I wish that you could send us some of your rainbows.

BTW can you get Ketchup (catsup) there now?

Rangefinder Leica does not need a very big and heavy tripod. 2-series Gitzo would be overkill. Certainly good but too big and heavy for what is really needed. 1-series CF would probably be best compromise. Even 0-series would be usable but would not extend as long. The Velbon Ultra Maxi is only good as minimal size and weight travel tripod. It would be barely sufficent for your outfit when extended up to waist height but not higher.

In my opinion, a good ball head is much better than a pan and tilt head. Manfrotto's geared head might be an alternative but I have no personal experience of them. Leica ballhead is good quality and locks very well in place. But so do many other high quality heads. Linhof and Foba, for example, make good ones.

Thanks for all those useful sugestions, I shall check them out. Various options to look at. I

have heard the Arca ballhead is good, and CF Gitzo might be the way to go. Edward: ah

yes, the infamous Leica M tripod mount! I forgot to say I'm getting one of those grips

which has a central tripod mount. The double bubble level looks like a good idea, but I'd

also need a double hotshoe as I use a separate viewfinder. Alex: glad you like NZ. I was

going to attach a pic but not sure how to do it on this forum. So do check out www.nz.com

for more.