erickpro

Like the title says.

I noticed the ring was cracked a few months ago. I was shooting

some pictures of the moon and it snaped. I read an old thread

where Shun had to pay around $200 to www.authorizedphoto.com to fix

his macro lens. It seems like I'm gonna have to do the same unless

someone recommends me something else.

I really do not want to pay $200 since I just bought a 50mm 1.2 Ai-

S and should recieve it next week.<div>00ErFl-27510384.jpg.e55102ae2d9d3206d7267d7874fc09bc.jpg</div>

I have the same lens...as far as I can tell the piece is plastic. It's really a light duty part...if it were mine I'd probably try superglue; care is a must as you wouldn't want the glue to ooze into the inner area of the ring. What's not apparent to me is how the part is replaced short of disassembling the lens cowling...that is if somehow you could buy just the replacement part in the first place.

That design flaw on the 200mm/f4 AF is quite well known. Nikon should never have used a plastic ring to control AF/MF. There are points on that ring that are hollowed out to engage/disengage the AF mechanism. Unfortunately, those hollowed out areas are weak points on the ring and that is why they break fairly easily.

Have you tried the newer superglue "GEL"?...much easier to control. The regular stuff is horrible, half the time I'd glue my finger tips together!<br>

I guess even if you're successful in gluing it; it's more or less a temporary fix, but perhaps it would tie you over until such time as you could justify getting it done in combination with a lens CLA to absorb some of the labor your paying out. That part can't cost more than $10-15.<br>

It was Nikon in Finland, they never charged me for repairs for some reason. I think they don't have a service centre any more, so it needs to be done by an independent shop. I suspect that everyone is just buying their lenses online now from the US (because the price difference reached the point of being ridiculous) so their business must have reduced so much that Nikon don't want to have their own repair shop.

However, I'm sure there are places in Europe (as well as the US) where the simple repairs like this aren't as expensive as Nikon USAs. Just ask around. By the way this is a clear design defect and it breaks with normal use so it's clearly something Nikon should fix for free.

Mine's broken twice. It should be make of machined steel, cast magnesium, or something

along those lines. I sent the lens to Nikon. It cost $207.54 and was listed as a B2 repair.

Overpriced in my opinion for a part that shouldn't break at all considering A) I hardly ever

use the lens, and B) I treat it (and all my gear) with care.

Another person with a cracked M/AF ring on the 80-200/F2.8D. However, thankfully I'm living in Hong Kong so the service / repair center is only a relatively short ride away. Cost was only 900 HKD (~113 USD), but it did take about a month for them to repair it (they had a lot of backlog repairs still pending at that time....). As far as I can tell, the lens will still operate in M or AF it's just that they won't lock into place. THUS you can use tape to secure it in one or othe other position and it should operate as normal.

• 5 years later...