Buying Leica Digilux in Toronto

We assume you're speaking of the D2, yes?

I borrowed one and obtained very excellent photos in a one day love affair with the camera. They did everything right EXCEPT the very bad viewfinder. I hated looking at that tiny TV in the v/f. I want an optical viewfinder and long for the mythical digital Leica which may or may not be announced next year. Of course, any "digital M" will be five times the cost of a new Digilux 2. Still want to buy one? Find Henry's in Toronto. They're reputable and should be able to help.

(Maybe Zeiss will surprise us all with a digital Z.)

Another 8th Elm recommendation. They may have to order it. Too bad, I don't think you can get the cheaper panasonic equivalent here in Toronto. Besides, it seems to be very expensive, add 15% tax.

Francisco,

In addition to Elm - try Henry's Cameras as well...

And, FWIW, it's a fine little camera! There are those detractors out there but they've

probably never ever used one before. Their comments usually come out of hearsay (the

"my buddy told me blah, blah, blah....blah types!)"

Consider the Panasonic LC-1 version too...

Cheers

If it is the D2 that you want, they are not that uncommon and should be obtainable in Toronto. If not, and you do not need to handle it first, order through B&H or other large online vendor.

You may want to consider the Panasonic LC1. Panasonic makes both cameras, and they are essentially the same apart from the branding; the LC1 comes with accessories that the D2 doesn't -- example, a 'cable' release.

I've been using the LC1 since February, and am quite happy with it. It's principle weakpoint is the viewfinder, which tends to be laggy and doesn't suit the camera to quick action. It's much touted traditional controls are great, but I generally use AF due to the viewfinder issues. I also tend to use the LCD when using a polarizer, but this can be difficult due to the lagginess and the relatively poor resolution of the screen.

The ergonomics of the LC1 are very good; but the true shining aspect of the camera is the superb lens. I tend to only shoot RAW, since the firmware does not do this lens justice at all (neither does the viewfinder/LCD). The only real drawback to the lens is that it is very prone to flare -- the lens hood doesn't seem to be very effective, and can be a pain to attach.

A common comment about the D2/LC1 is that if it was a true rangefinder (rather than just looking like one) it would be a real winner. Of course, that would likely double the cost of the camera at a minimum. I shot with Leica M's twenty years ago, and while the LC1 doesn't handle as well comparatively, I find it compares reasonably well as a quality walk-around camera (I primarily use mine to scout out locations on wilderness trails here in Alaska).

Andrew has it right. Try a Canon 20D with a 24f1.4 lens. It's terrific. It weighs about what

my M6ttl + 35mm Lux weighs. It's really a Leica in disguise. A TIME mag photog got me

to check it out (he's a long time Leica M user) and I had to agree it's an amazing

combination. (Preparing for the brickbats to fly in my direction). Ouch.

If I were searching for something compact, I'd get the Digital Rebel XT. After using the D-

lux II (actually a DMC-LC1) I found out it's S-L-O-W when shooting in RAW. The Rebel XT is

smaller, usable with RAW, has more resolution, and doesn't feel so cheap. With the money

you have left over you can buy a 24mm or 28mm EF lens, and a 50mm f/1.8 II.

Thanks you all. I have read all the interesting responses to my question, and I must confess that I have learned many things about the kind of camera I'm looking for. I have to meditate about all your comments. I have seen the Panasonic, but -in Spain- it looks as expensive as the Leica, for the price is 1.600 euros. I think it is cheaper in USA and Canada. If you have some advises about it, you will be very welcome. Thanks very much in any case. I'm learning a lot in photo.net

I read somewhere in one of the digital magazines that Leica was selling stock to raise money to make their own digital cameras instead of relying on Panasonic to do it. The picture of their new digital camera would look exactly like the M6. Panasonic has always had a noise problem at ISO's higher then 200, which is one reason I would stay clear of the Digilux, -one or two.

Wheather they succeed in raising funds to make their own digital cameras is still unkown, but if they are successful, it could be well worth the wait.

Francisco

I have used a Panasonic Lumix LC1 for more than a year now in trying environments (Bangladesh and Indonesia). I like it very much: the quality of the zoom, the convenient range (28-90), the ergonomics and a lot of useful settings. I do not mind the screens (you will get used to them). The only problem is the time between pictures in the RAW mode (7 to 9 seconds). It disqualifies the camera for fast or even street shooting in that mode. The other modes are OK.

After a year the "shutter button" got stuck because of oxydation of the contacts because of the high humidity. After opening the camera and cleaning the inside, everything is fine again.

In most places there is a difference in prices between the Leica and the Panasonic. I see no reason to go for the Leica. You get the filter as a bonus with Panasonic.

Good hunt

Pierre,

Have a look at the EWA Marine case, the one for manual SLR works with the LC1. Humidity will not be an issue. You can get a 69 to 72 step up ring here: http://www.lensmateonline.com/buy4.html

Francisco,

The LC1 is not perfect but it is pretty darn good. You get a cable release and UV filter with the LC1, one year warranty, D2 no filter or cable release, 3 year warranty. I got the LC1 on e*pay from Hong Kong for $999 with a 512 card. I'm getting used to the EVF. It is better than some tunnel finders. Dust on the sensor is not an issue with a fixed lens and the plastic Summicron is excellent.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

To those that think that a Canon 20D or 350 is an alternative to the D2 miss the whole

point of the D2/LC1. If you want a DLSR then the D2/LC1 is not the camera for you. You

can't rip of a string of fast images (3 in 2 seconds is the best you get in jpg high quality). If

you want interchangeable lens so you can do tele or macro then the D2 is not for you.

If you want a very quiet (silent, not something you get with a dSLR), light weight (total kit

weight), versatile camera with a great, fast, contrasty lens (equal to Canon L glass in

quality) that works manually like older rangefinder manual cameras (meaning twisting

dials rather hunting through on screen menus and electronically controlled aperature and

shutter speeds) then there is no competition for the D2. It's a matter of style and

temperment. There are things I can do with the D2 that I simply can't with my DSLR (and

vice versa).