Is this a sensor aberration or a s/w & workflow flaw?

I'm not much of a digital P&S person. My dad has a Nikon and he was

playing with resizing a simple snapshot in PSP. He said he was

increasing size in 5% steps. Below is a crop he sent me. Seems to be

a lot of 45 degree crosshatching of some type .Is this from the

sensor in the Nikon or something he introduced in resizing? My guess

is his workflow but since when does a father listen to a son?<div>[ATTACH=full]100470[/ATTACH]</div>

I too would suspect the workflow. By all means work in increments to get to the correct size, but once you have it, go back to the original and increase its size in one step. You get the possibility of error and funny artifacts every time you resize. And always save the original before resizing - you may have better software one day.

Regards, Ross

What part of the original photo did he crop - i.e., how large in pixels was the original part that he cropped? You can't ofcourse blow up a small crop indefinitely.

It could also be excessive JPEG compression. What settings did he set the camera to? Did he load/re-save the image often with a low JPEG quality setting?

I've seen it before... it's the sensor->jpeg conversion causing them. Resizing may exagerate the problem, but I would guess if you just did a basic resize they would be there too. If you had the RAW file you could reconvert with a better alogrithm, otherwise you just can't blow up to that size.