GPS for little-known spots?

ajweiss

I just bought a GPS receiver for hiking and car travel, and I have been looking into other

uses for it. For the most part, I find the thought of <a href="http://www.geocaching.com"

target="_blank">geocaching</a> rather silly. However, I did discover that some of the

so-called "caches" are really interesting locations (<a href="http://www.geocaching.com/

seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8b15f3e5-8bb1-4a0d-af4c-e46ec1dff019"

target="_blank">example</a>) instead of lunchboxes full of army men

and string. Unfortunately, these are a small minority of the total number.

<p>Does anyone know if there are other places that list interesting spots (not necessarily

photography-related lists)? I would love to find a place that can tell me of hidden

waterfalls, for example. I have been marking my own spots to re-visit, but I would love to

have hints when I explore new places.

<p>I was inspired to ask this question by <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-

a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DXfo" target="_blank">this thread</a>, which seems to overlap

my question somewhat but is not specifically asking how to find such places...

Rick,

This is actually an ulterior motive for getting the GPS. My site is smugmug-powered as

well, and I thought it would be cool to put the photos on a map after a long trip. It's nice

to see another example of the interface in use, though. Thanks!

I would learn to use a map & compass first, then you can use GPS safely. What if your GPS breaks down or becomes lost? Without a back up plan (map & compass), you will really be lost too. Also, be advised that many narrow valleys and canyons with bad sky exposure, often have poor GPS reception.

Once you get up to speed with GPS, you can indeed find places on various maps, and note their latitude & longitude. You then can follow the little blips to the seldom photographed spot.

Steve,

I appreciate your concern, but I am aware of the risks of relying solely on GPS for

navigation (and, consequently, I don't plan on doing so). Also, because I live in a major

city, I am aware of the limits of GPS when it comes to obstructions such as canyon walls or

financial-district buildings. Maps are essential as far as navigation is concerned.

I have, however, never seen a constantly-updated map of "favorite out-of-the-way spots"

that accepts contributions from photographers or other individuals. That is what I am

looking for. It doesn't have to be GPS-based; I just thought that would be a good fit for

this use.

So, I guess my question could be expanded to include any other repositories of such

knowledge, GPS-enabled or not.

Hi Adam:

I don't know if the "little known" part applies to this, but Backpacker magazine recently began posting GPS coordinates (on the UTM grid) for all of their suggested hikes and trips. Some of the actual photographs have coordinates tagged on them. Backpacker is also regionally editioned, so your "local" edition might have some good ideas for photography locales. If not, at least some good hikes.