without a battery. Previously I had a Minolta XE-5 that I liked for

it's solid feel and smooth operation but it lacked mirror lock up

and it would be toast if the electronics failed. I would appreciate

hearing from anyone with experience with the EF. Also, are there

other cameras with the same features? It seems like Nikkormat or

Konica maybe had something similar? Not looking to build a full

system, probably just get a 50mm 1.4. Thanks in advance for any

input.

Russ, I used a Canon EF many years ago and if I recall right, it is completely battery dependent. It was really ahead of its time in terms of automation, etc. I may have my cameras mixed up but I believe that it does indeed need a battery to operate properly. It really was a wonderful camera.

I currently have and use an EF the Ef can use modern 1.5 volt PX625 cells of which it uses two. (it has an internal voltage regulator)

As to it's use without batteries The shutter is electronic from 1 to 30 seconds and totally mechanical from 1/2 to 1/1000th It can be operated as a totally manually controled camers with no batteries.

The one hang up on the EF is the battery switch you HAVE to turn it off when not in use. The Silicon metering cell will use power searching for light even with the lens cap on. About three days will have a new set of batteries dead.

It is the only Canon FD camera with a copal square shutter and is truely unique. A fine solid well build machine.

Be advised there are two slightly different versions the early with prim screen like a FTb and the later with an E screen prism donut with split image center.

If you would like to read the manual it can be found on Christains FD documentation site at:

http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

If you buy off ebay besure to figure in a $65-75.00 Clean Lube and Adjust. If you buy from a dealer you may well need the same.

If you're not sure you want a Canon camera may I suggest you find a lens with a specific quality and fit a camera to that? Since you posted your question on the Canon FD forum I'll stick to those cameras. If you must have a Canon FD camera with mirror lock-up and an auto exposure capability you are limited to the EF or an F-1 with an expensive and bulky Servo EE Finder.

The EF is a wonderful camera. The only limitations I find are the lack of any type of drive accessory, no interchangeable focusing screens and an expensive camera to have serviced or CLA'd. However the list of pluses is long, some of them include;

*Shutter priority AE with a very large shutter speed dial that is easily adjusted while looking through the viewfinder

*Well thought out viewfinder with aperture and shutter speed scales outside the viewing area

*Stop-down metering for using bellows, macro or mirror lenses

*Wide range of speeds from 1/1000 to 30 seconds

*Hybrid metal shutter that is mechanically (no battery needed) controlled from speeds of one-half to 1/1000 second and electronically controlled from one second to 30 seconds

*Compatible with Canon's automatic electronic CAT 133D distance calculated flash and flash synch at 1/125 second

*Highly sensitive Silicon Photocell that meters from -2 to 18 EV which is 2 stops lower than a Canon EOS 1v

*Central Weighted metering in horizontal or vertical position, preferred for AE photography

*Mirror lock-up, stop down and self timer levers located in one spot, easy to find and easy to use quickly

*ASA film speeds from 12-3200

*Short stroke plastic tipped 120 degree advance lever, although it does not ratchet and must be cocked in one continuous stroke

*Early models hade a micro-prism center and later model had the split field rangefinder with a micro-prism ring for a focusing aid, both models have a ground glass fresnel screen

*Built in voltage regulator so inexpensive PX625 batteries can be used

*Spring loaded PC synch socket cover

*All metal housing

*Nifty automatic blank shot mechanism advances film to frame one without using the shutter button

*AE memory lock button

*Built in flash hot shoe

*Battery check button

*Multi exposure button

Simply a great camera that is a easy and fun to use.

The EF is the <b>only</b> Canon FD camera which has mirror lockup as well as a modern silicon light meter, which beats the pants off the older CdS cells. Great camera if you can find a good one, and laughably undervalued on the used market.

I had an EF that was stolen several years ago. I agree with the others, it is a great camera.

That being said, on a more recent note, when I was in the market for another FD body, I went with the F-1n. I got it on ebay for about $100. Add another $100 for a CLA. It works perfectly. I always wanted a F-1 anyway and it has capablilty to accept a motor drive, which is somewhat important to me.

Thanks for all the responses. I've placed an order for an EF and a 50mm from KEH for a little under $200. Don't know if I'll use it much but I couldn't resist the allure of this somewhat unique SLR. Digital is practical but no substitute for the tactile experience of manually focusing and viewing with a metal body SLR.

Good move on the KEH order. They will allow return if not satisfied, as I have done. I got an old EF off of Ebay two years ago, I use in fully manual mode. I didn't even check to see if the battery/electronics work. I keep it loaded with b&w and use it as a 3rd camera to my F1-n (purchased 1981) and T-90 (purchased 1988). I'm happy with the 50 1.4, on my second one in fact that i got from Keh...have fun

Mark, on the strength of your recommendation I bought a Canon EF today. This makes it my twelfth Canon FD body and my first with auto exposure. I have two Canon F-1 bodies but I do not have the Servo EE finder contraption for either one. I had always heard that the EF was hard on batteries so I will be careful to turn the meter off when I am not using it. Also, I was not aware that the camera could use alkaline 625 batteries. That's heplful. The eBay bidding for this item got heated and I hope I wasn't bidding against any fellow photo.netters. The final price was $85 + shipping and that included a 50mm f/1.8 chrome front FD lens and a generic flash. There are three things I do not yet know about my purchase: What condition is the equipment in? Which focusing screen does the camera have? Does the 50mm lens have the switch on the back for manual aperture control when the lens is reversed. I know that the 50mm f/1.8 chrome front came in at least two versions and not all of them have the switch. I will now have eight chrome front lenses.

Apart from the auto exposure I like the idea of having a more sensitive meter. All of my other Canon bodies have CDS meters. If they are working they are fine but they are not good for very low light unless a Booster or Booster Finder is attached. My Minolta X-700s and Konica FS-1 and FT-1 bodies have faster GPD cells but the silicon cell in the EF should still be an improvement over the CDS cells I have in the other bodies.

Now that I think of it, I will have 61 Canon mount lenses. Of these, 15 are Canon FL, 8 are chrome front Canon FD, 11 are black front Canon FD, 10 are Canon New FD and 17 are independent lenses. I have a lot more lenses in Konica mount but I have been concentrating on Canon more in the last few years. The independent lenses I have for Canon are: 19mm f/3.8 Vivitar, 28mm f/2.5 Vivitar Fixed Mount, 28mm f/2 Kiron, 35mm f.1.9 Vivitar, 35mm f/11 Loreo PC, 55mm f/2.8 Vivitar Macro, 55mm f/2.8 Panagor Macro, 90mm f/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soligir C/D, 135mm f/2.8 Vivitar Close Focusing, 28-55mm f/3.5-4.5 Soligor C/D, 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 Tokina AT-X, 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 Vivitar Series 1 (2 of these), 35-70mm f/2.5-3.5 SOligor C/D and Vivitar 85-205mm f/3.8 in FL mount.

Darn it - the one with the flash and 1.8 lens in AZ... YOU!!!

Just jokes - I'm sure I will snipe one to my liking!

I have done extensive research into this camera, and can confirm everything said here - except the light meter sensitivity. While really excellent, I don't believe it goes down to -2 EV. All the sources I have put it at 1. Then again, I may be wrong, which will make me want it even more! Many call it the F1 in disguise (I know, its notthe same - but a real value none the less!).

Another thing I have heard about this camera is that it may be the most reliable FD body ever built - again, just repeating what users have told me. And the flash synch blows everything in FD out of the water except the almost-an-EOS T90, which is much, much newer and more dear$$$.

I would really like to make a New F1 my main FD body - but funds do not permit a nice one right now, and good sense does not permit an iffy one (will cost more in the end). After much research, with the eventual purchase of a New F1 in mind, I decided to go with an EF as a "for now" and a great back up later. I find it strange that the New F1 does not have MLU (Canon swore it did not need it... but I still think its conspicous through its absence...).

Good luck with your EF's and hopefully I will have some first hand accounts to contribute soon!

I don't know whether the EF shares any parts with the F-1 even if they look similar from the outside. The F-1 has a horizontal titanium foil shutter. The EF has a vertical running Copal shutter. The F-1 has a removable finder while the finder on the EF is fixed. The F-1 has semi-spot (12%) metering. If I am not mistaken the EF has center weighted metering. The F-1 has a CDS meter while the EF has silicon cells. The EF does not accept a winder or motor. The F-1 accepts a winder and two different motors. Both of my F-1 bodies were overhauled by Essex Camera Service. The first one did not need parts. The second one could have done without parts but I swapped the top cover and a few other parts with a body they had so I paid a little more the second time. I hope I will have some fun with the EF when I get it but it is different in many ways from the F-1. The F-1 and F-1n bodies sell for fairly low prices on eBay. You can expect an overhaul to cost between $100 and $150. An F-1N still costs a lot more but gives you more sensitive metering and more auto exposure options. I don't know whether I will get an F-1N in the future but if I do I will probably get an F-1n first.

I was shopping for an EF recently, loved one years ago. But I came across a bargain on another Canon P...

Since the only advantage the EF has over my F1s is idiot-proof metering into lower light, and since I've got a great little Digisix meter and am not yet entirely an idiot, and since EF's eat batteries and are WAY bulkier, slower and less accurate to focus than Canon P's, I'm sitting here waiting for a little $190 UPS package from NYC.

When I'm old enough to need automatic I'll go digital :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased nice canon EF from ebay, it came with no batteries so I purchased some wein 1.35v px625 batteries. The manual says i need 1.3v epx625. Using the 1.35v nothing worked; not the battery check nor the light meter. Does anyone have any advice on which batteries I should buy for my canon EF?

Mike

Michael, you've resurrected a stale thread, so you might not get many answers to this.

The EF is not that fussy about what battery you put in it. I don't know if that's because it's got a regulatory circuit, or if it's just a property of the silicon meter cell. I use mine with 1.5V alkaline 625s, and they work OK.

So if your EF is not responding to the Wein cells, which are similar to the 1.35V mercury cells it was designed for, I think the camera has electronic disease. The fix could be as easy as cleaning some corrosion out of the battery chambers. Failing that, return it, repair it, or use it as a fully manual camera.