How i measure the temperature in the tank

Unless you have an open tank, it's not practical to measure the temperature directly. The usual recourse is to use a tempered water bath, bring the solutions to temperature in the bath prior to processing, and keep the tank in the bath between agitations.

B&W processing is not so critical for the exact temperature, but you should know what it is and adjust the development time accordingly. Color is much more sensitive, since there are three sensitive layers that must be kept in balance. For color, the dry film and tank should soak in the tempered bath for 5 minutes or so before adding chemicals.

Hi

I fill the sink with water at 20c, about 1/3rd full to act as a water bath. I put the fixer bottle in there, and also some rinse water at 20c in a container.

I mix the developer (Rodinal) with water at 20c, then start the developing process. In between agitations, I put the tank in the sink.

Using this method, I've not had any problems with temperature (my house is usually 20-22c inside, making things easier). B+W is not as critical temperature wise as colour developing, and if you use a developer like Diafine, you don't really need to give temperature control a second thought.

Paul

I use a picnic (beer) cooler with 20C water in it as a water bath. With the developer temp

right prior to filling the tank then keeping it in the insulated bath between agitations I

figure it's gotta be right inside the tank. I soak the steel tank in the bath (maybe floating)

to get it to temp prior to putting in the developer. Perhaps overkill for B&W but now part

of the routine and simple enough.