Deciding between 4 - 20" LCDs

Ok, after much sweat, tears, and eye strain I have my choices down

to 4 monitors... The finalists are!

1+Samsung 213T

2+Lacie Photon20Vision II (the hood and mounting clamp would be

awesome for using it on location in studio)

3+Apple Cinema 20" Flat-Panel Display

4+Dell 2005FPW

My budget is under $1000, and this monitor will be used w/my DELL PC

desktop as well as an external monitor with my 12" Powerbook. Image

quality is tantamount, and I need something that will look awesome

w/my Desktop computer (up to 1600x1200) AND still look great when

coupled to the lower resolution (1024x768) of my Apple 12" Powerbook.

I'm really having a difficult time deciding, I definitely want

something to accurately view photographs, but I'd also like a decent

refresh rate to play the occasional FPS game ;) This will be my main

monitor at home.

Thanks SO much for any help and advice :)

Alex

The other panels are made from the units Apple rejects.

Seriously.

Apple's Cinema Display is an amazing piece of technology, and is real easy on the eyes. It

also comes 99% calibrated from the factory, especially when using its Colorsync profile.

There was literally no change in response when I had mine calibrated, when compared with

the built-in cinema display calibration.

"The other panels are made from the units Apple rejects.

Seriously."

Err, seriously not. Does the LaCie even have the same proportions/resolution as the Apple?

I don't

think so.

I've no experience of Samsung or Dell, but my experience of Apple and LaCie branded

monitors gives me more confidence in the latter.

Samsung and Toshiba both manufacture panels used in Cinema Displays. Apple chooses

the ones that are within a strict range of tolerances, and Samsung and Toshiba give other

manufacturers their second choice. I'm not sure about LaCie - I haven't heard anything

about them since the early 90s, but I would bet that the LCD in the Dell is a Samsung or a

Toshiba.

The decisions between CRT and LCD are always tough - but are there any new / updated FAQ's about which technology is actually the best? (I read a lot of articles on FN but there is no consistent line).

Most of my processing will be for simple colour correcting (whitespace etc); cropping and occasionally sharpening / rotating an image. Eventually I will be scanning (Coolscann 5000 my backlog of photos (from last 7 years of film) and would like something which is suitable for this.

The Apple monitor sounds nice - but does it work on PC's?

LCD's have only one native resolution�, so if your Powerbook will only do the lower

resolution, you will see a little window in the middle of the monitor - not, perhaps what

you had in mind. Can your Powerbook even drive a DVI screen?

I am no longer recommending Samsung monitors, following a problem with the power

supply on mine. I do not think it should have failed after 4 1/2 years, and I do not think

they should be charging A$110 for a replacement. Of course I got a cheaper one from the

mall (still $64).

"<i>Samsung and Toshiba both manufacture panels used in Cinema Displays. Apple chooses the ones that are within a strict range of tolerances, and Samsung and Toshiba give other manufacturers their second choice. I'm not sure about LaCie - I haven't heard anything about them since the early 90s, but I would bet that the LCD in the Dell is a Samsung or a Toshiba.</i>"

<p>

Apple, Dell, etc. buy their 20" S-IPS LCD panels from LG-Philips. Or to be precise, LM201W01 is the <a href="http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp">panel</a href> used by Apple and Dell.

Have a look at www.tomshardware.com. They recently reviewed four large LCD's, and I think one LaCie was the one recommended for photographers.

Also, I'd not buy the Samsung for photo editing. I have had two Samsungs and they were OK for office and games, but not for photos.

I too think current PowerBooks can drive higher-res screens - that's their biggest

advantage over the iBooks. But IIRC early PowerBooks, like iBooks, lacked the hardware to

drive two different screens (internal and external) at different resolutiions. Not sure when

they got it, and you would be wise to ask Apple.

Don't overlook the inconvenience of having to switch plugs. You will find KVM switches

generally don't support either USB keyboards or DVI monitors.

Definitely helpful answers... I think I'm leaning towards the Apple Cinema (but LaCie is still in contention).

My biggest concerns w/the Apple display are how it's going to work w/my Dell PC and that it's refresh rate won't be too troubling when watching movies or playing the occasional FPS.

Any more advice?

thanks again

Also from the Annandtech artical, the Dell is better in some ways and the ACD has a little

advantage in others. The Dell is a bit cheaper. I'm using an iMac w/20" screen, I'm not sure

its the same as the ACD, but its SWOP certifiable and an amazing screen for photo shop.

Hi, i am a professional photo retoucher and i alson train professional photographer for

color management. Im on a MAC platform, i was using a CRT monitor until last year....ive

seen a Aplle Cinema Display 20 inch.....its close to perfection! but i am not agree with

someone here saying that the factory calibration its almost perfect and after i calibrated i

didnt see much difference.....man, change your calibration method because i have seen

MAJOR difference, out of factory setting are way to cold.

I think the final choice have to be if you are on a Mac or PC platform, and your budget...

(i dont know about the other one, but i know that the apple cinema display lack of

hardware control could be a problem on a PC world) .

My second choice would have been the Lacie, maybe the samsung after.....

• 2 weeks later...

I've been awaiting set up of my Eizo Color Edge CG210 monitor before I thought I would

wade in here. I own an Apple 20" Cinema display which I use on a non critical computer.

I owned a 23" apple Cinema Display which I returned because it was pink, even after

calibration and was very inconsistent across the screen. I own a 22" Lacie Electron Blue and

I have found it to be an excellent CRT monitor, I have also heard nothing but good things

about their LCDs.

The Apple cinema displays besides being uneven, have a very apparent twinkle effect.

That is you can see the screen pixels very easily, and they can be very distracting. The

difference in image quality between the Apple displays and the Eizo are very apparent.

The Eizo which is 14 bit, has much smoother gradations, no uneveness, has no twinkle

and is sharp as can be. I know the budget was $1000. but the criteria was that image

quality is "tantamount". You may want to consider looking at the Eizo Color edge CG19

which sells for around $1600.

"I owned a 23" apple Cinema Display which I returned because it was pink, even after

calibration and was very inconsistent across the screen. I own a 22" Lacie Electron Blue and

I have found it to be an excellent CRT monitor"

B, you're not alone in having a pink (magenta?) 23" Cinema Display. I've tried everything to

get reasonable quality from these monitors, but they just don't deliver. They're actually a

great deal worse than the previous (plastic surround) model. I'll also echo your positive

experience of the 22" LaCie CRT - they're bulky but just about the best bang for your buck

you can get. The real mystery is why Sony have apparently stopped production of the

Artisan.