Creating studio backgrounds with cloth and paint

fino

I'm interested in creating my own backgrounds with cloth and throwing

splashes of color paint on. Unfortunatly I've no examples to post to

explain this better.

Has anyone created their own backgrounds like this?

Can you recommend a suitable cloth and paints?

Any tips or links with ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Fintan

I don't claim to be an expert, but generally muslin (either as all cotton or poly/cotton) or canvas is used. Muslin is not that heavy (think bed sheet). If you google for theatrical supply stuff, you'll find a few companies that specialize in wide bolts of both materials that have already been made flame retardent.

http://www.gi-info.com/

I made two from muslin. One was dyed a solid color and the other is mottled. I used an air brush, flicks from different sized paint brushes, and some brush strokes.

Canvas is heavier, but in larger sizes it has seams... or else it's more expensive than buying a ready-made backdrop. For what I was trying to achieve, the seams would have been objectionable, so I used muslin. But I've seen canvas used where the seams actually added some interest.

Funny, I just did this today. I got some ideas from a book at Lowes on different painting techniques. It was really handy and had step by step directions for many different effects, Parchment, Morocco Leather, stone and marble effects,Jasper etc. Also the different effects you get using cheese cloth, brushes and combs, rags, newspaper, plasic wrap, steel wool, platter, stippling and so on. I really liked the effect using a tinted glaze over a mottled background. BTW, I found the glaze at Sears for $22 a gallon vs. $25 for a quart at Lowes. Go figure.

I bought a 9'x18' piece of muslin for $38 at a fabric store and will be using this for my background after some practice.

I bought regular Latex interior house paint at Lowes and experimented with some canvas I had. So far I'm very pleased with the results.

Mike

I have found that adding white carpenters glue (like Elmers brand) will keep the paint from flaking off when you roll them up. I've been using a black one I made for at least 5 years. You can get over-sized cores at carpet dealers.<p>I do not recommend throwing splashes of colored paint as a preferred technique... t<div>00CtxW-24704784.jpg.aa824464d1e3dffd3c6e6556ec7cdddc.jpg</div>

Tom,

Did you put the glue first on the fabric or mixed it with the latex paint? Did you dilute the paint or used it as is?

Also what finish did you use? Was it matte, satin or semi gloss? Thanks for your response.

Azad