I just received a nikon sb-24 in trade for some other stuff and was

thinking about keeping it for use with a nikon 8700. Nikon does not

directly recommend this flash for use with the 8700, they recommend

the SB-800/50DX/30/22s. I am aware that higher voltage ranges can

harm these types of glorified point&shoot cameras. As far as I know

the 22s has a voltage range of 4.9-5.3V which is certainly safe to use

with the 8700 as recommended by nikon. I have been told that the sb-24

has a voltage range of 3.8-5.4V. Is this correct? The sb-24 is quite

old and I would not want to damage the 8700 because I used the sb-24.

Does anybody have any expience using this flash with this camera? Are

there any risks of damage. At this point I think it will be OK, but I

wanted to be sure.

The SB 24 is low voltage and will not damage your camera. It is the earliest of the "modern" Nikon flashes, and should work OK. It does not have pre-flash or redeye supression capability. It does not have the locating pin in the shoe, so you must be careful to have it locked down firmly.

A working SB-24 won't hurt your 8700, but controlling the exposure will be a challenge as the camera and flash won't talk to each other except to trigger the flash. If you aren't familiar with how to take full control of the 8700 exposure (aperture and shutter speed), that is where you need to start. You can put the flash in manual and adjust the power level or you can set the ISO and exposure compensation and use the flashes' sensor in auto mode. In other words you have 1970's flash technology with a far less forgiving "film". The only good thing is you don't have to wait for development to see how it came out.

Craig Bridge, why won't the pseudo TTL on the 8700 work with the sb-24? I see the sb-24 has all the contact pins needed to make it work. I currently use a sb-22s and it works with the limited pseudo TTL on the 8700 why wouldn't the SB-24 be able to do the same it also has the same number of contact pins on the shoe as the sb-22s

Thanks everyone I just found the nikon flash compatibility chart. It says that the sb-24 can do standard TTL with the 8700. I wa not asking about 3D Multi-Sensor balanced, Multi-sensor balanced or Matrix balanced. I'm not sure why thier info is so much differnt from what some people said on this board. Heres the linkhttp://www.nikon.com.sg/TechSupp/KB/TOPFAQ/Flash_Comp.htm