rail/field camera for most purposes and longest time

ruvy

I need to get a used camera and lens that will not exceed $1000, will

be a camera I may grow with it for at least 5-7 years, and will be a

joy to work. I need it for divers use including landscape,

architecture, still life objects and details of the above that are

often too far for normal lens.

It could be either a relatively light (& most important easy to pack)

rail camera or a field camera. I have a slight preference to a rail

camera for its longer rail and lower price. I was thinking along the

lines of Cambo NX (looks heavy), linhof kardan color, or other

reasonably priced full feature and rigid. For a field camera the Shen

Hao is the only one I know that is reasonably priced, longer than 12"

bellow and near full movements.

I would like to hear opinions and ideas of people who have used these

cameras or have other ideas as to where best I should go

I started with a monorail camera and it is best if you aren't leaving the studio. I

like wood cameras better though so got a tachihara. I found doing still life

work (commercial table top) was difficult with the 210 as I was always right at

the limit of the bellows. I bought a TOKO (not toyo) hand made Japanese

wood field with sliding back with rear focus and a few extra inches of bellows.

I love this camera and have used it for thousands of hours since 1985. I can

do anything with it as long as I don't try to use a longer lens than 210 in studio.

It doesn't have near the weight of a metal rail camera. Is far more beautiful to

look at. And seems like it is going to out last me.

Most monorails won't meet your criteria of "relatively light" unless you're talking about "relative to a Sherman tank." Anyway, not the Cambos. Also they aren't usually that easy to get into a backpack, though it can be done. If carrying the camera very far is a necessary thing, you'll probably be happier with the Shen Hao. OTOH, the full movements of a monorail can be a big advantage.

I have a Calumet 540 monorail (18" rail) that I can carry in a Lowe Super Trekker by placing the standards on a 5" stub rail. That somewhat simplifies setup and takedown by making it unnecessary to remove the bellows from the standards. It's for sale if you're interested, but be advised that it weighs about 10 pounds, quite a difference from a wooden field camera. Includes a hard case and both flat and recessed lensboards (both #0.)

I highly recommend a metal field camera such as the Toyo AX. Wista also makes a good model. They run for around $1,600 new and should be around $1,000 used. I just don't understand why more people don't prefer them over wooden field cameras. I bought mine used, and mint for $1,000. They are much sturdier than wooden field cameras. I'm not too enthused about using a monorail in the field. Many people love them however. I just like the simplicity and portability of a good field camera. You can use them for macro work, architecture (75mm lens and up) and still get use out of them up to 240mm for portrait/landscape etc. Good luck.

I went through Brooks Institute and always used my Toyo 45AII. All of the other students

envied it's ultimate portability. They would haul boxes of stuff around on a shoot, while I

carried everything I needed in a Tenba backpack. There was only one table top shot with

extreme movements that this camera could not accomplish. For that shot I used a Toyo 45CX

which I bought new for around $400 (no lens). For a monorail, the 45CX is fairly light. It has

no gearing, but the manual movements are smooth... and the camera is cheap (read

inexpensive). Both camera are superb and will grow with you as far as you want to go. I would

opt for the 45AII (or AX) for field work, but could live with a monorail if I were working out of

the trunk of my car.