Nikon F5: Manual Focus Lenses

finn_theodore_mainstone

I am just about to buy a F5 but am worried because i do so much manual

focus photography that when i attach a manual focus lens.. if i can

that is. If i will loose serious functionality?? I have read so much

about this but nothing seams to give a simple proper answer. Will i be

able to take a good photo with my manual focus lenses? All the lenses

i have are manual aperture, is this a problem too???

You will lose matrix metering, and "P" and "S" mode will fall back to "A". Otherwise, no problem.

You will indeed be able to take any photograph you like with any lens on the F5. When I had F5 as my "bread-and-butter" camera, virtually every lens I used was manual. I still continue to use them on my D2X. Good lenses never die.

It is a myth (endorsed by hardware vendors) that you need the latest and cutting-edge equipment to make good pictures. Of course photography never worked that way, since it is the user who makes the pictures, not the camera or a particular lens.

Obviously you can use ant F mount lens on the F5, you certainly can take some great photo's with a manual lens but of course you will lose functionality. Obviously you do the focusing, in most cases you will have to stop down manually using the apeture ring. Also, at least with the lenses I have (Ai and E) you'll probably find that the F5's matrix metering won't be available. So a lightmeter might be a worthwhile invest ment ( I belive AI-P are the exception). Basically (though I'm no authority on the matter) if it is a non CPU lens you will have to use the F5 as a totally manual camera with no internal light meter.

No, except for matrix metering the F5 will (as I stated in my first post) do full light metering with a non-CPU lens. There are centre-weighted and spot modes available. No crippling of the metering such as found on the D100/D70/D50 models. There is absolutely no need for an external meter, since F5 has one of the best metering systems available.

You do have to use the aperture ring on the lens to set the aperture which in my opinion is a benefit, not a drawback (I have programmed all my DLSRs to behave similar, if they support this operation).

You just install the AIS, AI or AI(ed) Nikkor lens and start

shooting, thats all. There are no custom settings to bother

with. The F5 loves these lenses. You get all the functionality of

the lens that they gave with cameras like the F3HP, F3, FE2, EL2.<br>

<br>

I find the manual focus ease of the F5 comparable to the F3HP and

a touch less than the F3 (DE-2) because the latter has slightly

higher viewfinder magnification than the F3HP. The manual focus

ease is very good. When I say focus ease Im referring to

the ease of focus on the matte surface of the focus screen.<br>

<br>

The F5 gives an electronic rangefinder that easily takes the

place of a split image rangefinder so you dont have that

obstruction cluttering up the viewfinder. This is particularly

nice for macro and slow super telephoto lenses. You can use the

electronic rangefinder with your peripheral vision. You get an

analog meter readout in the viewfinder that is far easier to use

than the LCD display of the F3 and F3HP.<br>

<br>

If you set Shutter Preferred or Programmed modes the F5 will

default to Aperture Preferred exposure mode and if you set Matrix

metering it will default to Center-Weighted Metering. If you wish

to use Matrix metering you can have a CPU installed in many AIS

and AI lenses. Since you do not need to install a CPU in these

lenses to have Matrix metering with the D2H, D2Hs and D2X I have

not bothered.<br>

<br>

Besides owning a Nikon F5, I own a Nikon D2H and I find using AIS,

AI and AI(ed) lenses just as easy. Its difficult to say

which is my favorite camera for manual focus Nikkors but its

between the F5 and the D2X. I guess the nod goes to the F5 for

wide and super wide angle lenses and the D2X for super telephotos.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

I can also report that the F5 works very well with manual focus lenses. You will lose matrix metering but, for me, that's not really a loss because I prefer using center weighted metering because I am so used to it and can predict the results.

One thing that I can report is that if your used to using an F or F2 series camera with a "B" or "E" screen, you'll see the F5 is a touch more difficult to focus by screen alone. The newer "Brite Screens" don't have quite the "snap" of the older style ground screens in the earlier cameras. The good news is the it's still quite good and you can use the rangefinder aid, if you remember to look for it, which I never seem to do until after I take the picture.

Now a WARNING ! Nikon offered a modification of the F5 to allow use of Non AI lenses but it required a trip to the repair center. Basically, they would install an aperture follower from the F4 that featured a flip up tab so that a Non AI lens could be mounted safely. Because it required a trip to the repair center this means that almost all F5's won't have this modification and mounting a Non AI lens will DAMAGE the aperture follower on the camera body. My advice, if you have Non AI lenses, don't use them with your F5, or have them "modified" to be AI compliant.

BTW, the F5 may be the finest "tool" that Nikon ever produced. Sure it's big but if your used to an F2 with an MD-2, it's actually a bit of a featherweight. The AF system is INCREDIBLE so don't be afraid of getting some AF lenses. The only downside you'll find is that it will EAT batteries. The rechargables are expensive but at the rate the F5 goes thru batteries you may want to think about going rechargeable. If not, make SURE you always have spare batteries on hand, they die quickly and you don't get a lot of warning.

BTW, I think it's a shame that Nikon came out with the F6. Some love it but it lacks the "gearhead" appeal of the F5, doesn't have interchangable finders, and killed any further development of the F5. Which means the there won't be any Li-Ion batteries for the F5 or a future digital back for it. That's why they are probably getting so cheap now. I'm keeping mine and hoping that someday Sigma or someone similar will do a digital back for it, until that happens I just keep running film thru it to keep it limber. (stupid F6, I hate you, you'll get all the toys that the F5 deserves just cause your younger :-(

Well, my F5 takes around 70-100 rolls per set of lith AAs so it's not like it really was a problem. It's not designed for alkalines so it can eat a full set of 8 alkalines in the cold in 1.5 rolls of film!

The F6 is great, it is so much smaller without the stupid grip which should always be optional IMHO. Much better user interface than the F5s whose (e..g AF-ON) buttons are so small they're difficult to use.

Scott, I have an F5 and an F6. I liked the F5 but hated the size and stupid things like hitting 3 buttons to rewind film. I still used my FE2 a lot instead of my F5.

Since I got the F6 I never use the F5 or the FE2. It is simply the best camera I have ever used. The autofocus is faster and the points are closer to rule of thirds intersections, I like the finder better, film rewind is automatic including the ability to leave the leader out simply by setting a menu option on the back, the placement of buttons is more ergonomic, it will matrix meter with all of my many AI lenses, and a lot of stuff like data imprinting is built into the F6 unlike the F5 which needs another back. I could go on and on.

I also have an F and F2 and except for taking the finder off for fun I've never had any actual need to change from the default finders that I got with the cameras. If you like the F5 then stick with it. It's a great camera but don't try the F6 or you may end up buying one...

I've got a D70 but the F6 is so much nicer to use. Now where's that D200 or D2(X/H) without the vertical grip?

With the exception of some high end cameras like the F5, F6, F100, D1/D2, Nikon bodies will not meter with old manual focus lenses. The lens needs to have a chip inside so that it can communicate with the camera through some electronic connections.

Nearly all autofocus lenses have chips. Nearly all manual focus lenses lack chips. Some people take a Dremel tool and drill a cavity into their manual focus lens and add the chip and electronic contacts to their lens. This way their manual focus lens will meter with their cheap modern film body.

Roland Elliott will convert certain lenses for $115.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

I would put it like this: with all serious Nikon SLR bodies, metering is supported on Ai and Ai-S lenses. Some of the latest even matrix meter. The cheapo bodies don't support in-camera metering but they generally have such poor viewfinders that manual focusing lenses are a pain to use anyway ... YMMV, of course.

AF cameras which meter just fine include F-501, F-601, F-801, F-801s, F70, F90, F90x, F100, F4, F5, F6. Isn't that already enough? And DSLRs: D1, D1H, D1X, D2H, D2X, that's five of them, and a series of older Kodak/Nikon DSLRs excluding the cheapo 14n and SLR/n.

Finn, Can you tell us why you are about to buy the F5? It seems you will not be benefitting from any of the popular features many of us purchased it for in the first place, like colour matrix metering, 5-8 fps, fast auto focus. Personally, I long for the F6 (or maybe even the F-100) just for the portability issue. I agree with poster above that I don't require the vertical grip, the excess weight, or the 8fps, which I have never used. This is a BIG body, especially after 6 hours at the zoo. For these reasons I haven't invested in the D2x or D2h, preferring to wait for the D-200.

Gup.

Thanks for all your help guys. Basicly i am nearly 17, so quite young, but i have a massive intrest in photography. When i am 25 even though i will not be a profesional photographer i dont want to be limited in what i want to do. However i am in college in England now and one of my courses is photography. I can pick up a F5 for about �350 - �430 and i have been saving this summer to buy a camera. My dad has an F3 and has two old (but in very good condition) manual focus lenses with manual aperture control, there not AI lenses, definatly dont not have a CPU in them and i would like to use them on the F5. So i am making sure before i litrally spend ALL my life savings on a camera that it can do what i want it to do for now. Any more advice would be great. Thanks so much to everyone that helped with this. Finn

I borrowed a friend's F5 and shot all weekend a while back using my 15 manual focus, AI-series Nikkors. Since the F5 only offers center weighted metering with manual focus lenses, its metering with these lenses is no more sophisticated than on my 25-year-old F2 bodies. I had thought about buying an F5 but decide instead to have one of my F2 bodies serviced. It's now back at factory specs and works flawlessly at much less expense than an F5. No autofocus, no matrix metering, but I wouldn't get those functions on an F5 with my lenses anyway.

The high speed motor drive of the F5 works just fine with manual-focus lenses. The body is incredibly durable, and that's still useful. Also, the shutter is self-adjusting in case of error and that is a benefit. Finally, having it means that future-acquired autofocus lenses will have a great platform on which to mount.

Honestly though, Finn, it isn't necessary to spend so much money to get a good camera for manual lenses. The F100 and F90x will work great with them, and aside from having slightly slower motor drives, will meter and function just as well with these lenses. In fact, the F4 is widely considered to be one of the best "manual focus" cameras ever; it has iffy autofocus performance, but that doesn't matter with manual focus lenses.

If the F5 is the camera you want, by all means get it and know that your manual lenses will still be quite useful on the camera. Just know that there are pretty good alternatives that will cost you less and leave you more money for glass and film.

I use manual lenses on my F100, F90x and F90 quite a lot and I find them to be just fine. I also use autofocus lenses on an FE and FM2n. This cross-compatibility (although slightly complicated with some of the obscure incompatibilities) is the real godsend of the Nikon system.

<Since the F5 only offers center weighted metering with manual focus lenses...> Correction: the F5 (and F100) offer Center Weight and Spot Metering with AI and AIS lenses, although the 'spot' used for Spot Metering cannot be moved as only the very center bracket-like 'spot' < [ ] > in the viewfinder will Spot-Meter. The electronic rangefinder, used to determine proper focus, can be switched to and remains operable in any and all brackets < [ ] > in the viewfinder.

Your Father's non-AI lenses will neither mount nor meter on an F5 or F100. Not to worry as used AI and AIS lenses are readily found for a song-and-a-dance. As previously mentioned, give strong consideration to an F100 as it is smaller, lighter and offers, in round numbers, about 85% (or more) of the functionality of an F5. If nothing else, lay your hands on one of each to feel the difference and then imagine one dangling from your neck for a few hours before dropping a coin. I could only suggest an F5 for someone with considerable shooting experience and / or needing the higher frame rate of 8 fps, which is contrary to the film budget of the average college student. You'll save a few quid on the F100 vs. F5 that can buy glass. The F100 has plenty of bells and whistles to satisfy you for years whereas the F5 may have you scratching your head when you should be shooting.

• 4 years later...

<p>Guys,<br>

It is of no relevance now but I had to write something here...<br>

I have just come back to this site after years of being away and I was looking at the posts I wrote here while I was at college. Thank you for all your help!<br>

I did end up buying the F5 by the way, excellent camera, bought a CPU AF lens with it.... Sold the whole lot for a profit 2 years later. Got great use out of it.</p>

<p>Anyway so 5 years on and I now own a photography business in Liverpool. Almost brought a tear to my eye reading what I had written when I was just about to buy my first camera. I really did spend every cent I earned that summer on photography equipment. I still do!!! So check us out:</p>

<p>http://mainstone.media.officelive.com/default.aspx</p>

<p>Cheers for your help guys!!</p>