Wide angle lens for digital

laurie_m

Thanks Shun. Today I stopped into a camera store and took some pictures with the 16mm/2.8 (AF). In the LCD screen, it looks a little bowed at the center. I wonder whether it's possible to straighten it in Photoshop or Nikon Capture without losing too much detail.

• 3 weeks later...

Been following this thread and I am confused about something. Does the Nikon 16mm2.8 fisheye yield a wider image on a D2x than my 12-24 zoom. I know that the 12mm end of the 12-24 equates to 18mm in 35mm speak.

Does the 16mm fisheye NOT equate to 24mm (150%) as a rectilinear lens would? Bjorn corrected a previous reply, but this is where I am confused. If I understand the replies, if I crop out the center of an image shot with the 16mm fisheye on a D2x, my resulting image will be WIDER than if I had used my 12-24 at 12?? If so, how much wider?

My goal is to be able to mount the 16mm fisheye, set the focus at its hyperfocal point or use AF and hold the body over my head to get dance floor images at weddings. If I understand the issues, using the fisheye to get very deep DOF and maximum coverage of the scene in order to get the bride somewhere in the frame and then judiciously cropping the image will yield better results than using the 12-24

@12mm overhead.

Forget the distortion and perspective issues.....I can play with that in PS. My question is what is the best lens to shoot with over my head and still manage to get the subject somewhere near the center of the frame.

Sorry for the rambling - I am having difficulty phrasing the question