What is better?

While some cameras are superior, my Minolta CL seems okay. It is not a

Leica but the mount is the same and it works except for the loose

advance lever. Do you guys think it is a good camera? Should I move up

to a Leica M? I have been thinking about this for a few days. As far

as lenses, I only own the slower Minolta 90mm. It seems good but not

as good as my faster and sharper Nikkor 105mm.

CL is the best ever. I have two. Noctilux works great, just a little front heavy. The eyes on my 135 2.8 don`t line up, so I just estimate smaller from the larger 90 frames. Only chopped off a few heads so far.

I had the filter size recut to match 39mm standard so that problem is solved.

The meters have both gone out, but they are fixed now.

Been thinking of having vulcanite applied. Stock factory coating is somewhat slippery. When the top is off, I`ll have that done to. Just replate with bright chrome. It will be the only one in the world.

Lastly I`m having the shutter speed dial moved to the top so it will be just like a real camera.

No way I`ll ever sell these babies.

I really like the CL as a carry around camera, small, light, and I don't feel like a photographer. A way to "be prepared" and still "take a day off". I'm past the point of trying to impress anybody with a bevy of M's. Manfred got the meter working when I first bought it 4 or 5 years ago and other than a couple of battery replacements it still agrees with my exposure estimates as often as the Weston Master V or the Gossen or the Minolta Autometer. I really should dedicate a couple days a week as "CL Days" and leave the Bessa L/15 Heliar home.

It is a nice camera, but in my experience not as rugged as a "real" M (r/f tends to get misaligned easily). Meter gets flak for being unreliable but all they need often is a new cell (although this is not cheap). It is a joy to use with the 40mm in my opinion. But, yes, I think if you can afford it an M6/M7/MP is a much nicer and more useful camera.

I actually doubt that the Nikon 105mm is really sharper than the 90mm f4, but f4 is a little slow (camera shake issues perhaps?) and the camera is not all that good at focussing a 90mm - at least you have to take extra special care when close focussing. The 90/4 is a very fine performer.

Robin Smith

In my idea you should give a try to Leica's R system rather than M system.

Most people say it's just stylish but it gives the best solutions especially with

the fast moving objects. I had some great pics of traffic and fireworks(although

they aren't maybe considered to be fast) with its shutter speed priority. It is

really great to see details in pics like that without loosing the main

composition.80-200 mm f/4 tele lens is great.