Contax IIa with new SW ventilated lens hood

The new ventilated SW lens hood does the job with style. Sells on eBay

for $14. Photographed in dining room by window light, one left white

reflector and one front white reflector.Background is a blue dining

mat. Photo converted to black and white and quadritoned. 1 second

exposure @ f16, as calculated with spotmeter.<div>00DDJh-25153684.jpg.9752c416433131cc9cc6658beee27def.jpg</div>

I am ashamed to say it was a Nikon D70 with the 55mm Micro Nikkor. However, in the future I will be posting similar shots taken with a

Contaflex Super BC and various focar lenses. I am home bound, so I

hope to be forgiven the occassional non-classic illustrative shot.

George,

Stunning job of presentation of your Contax IIa. Using natural light gives it a special quality, I think, But I'm guessing if you applied your bag of tricks, you could probably get the equivalent with a strobe, smoke and mirrors and a whistle or two. Some day you should put up a quiz: which of these photos is produced with natural light?

After seeing Nicolas Douez's Contax IIa and now yours, I'm ready to make the move up. Good bye Kiev 4A and 4 AM, hello Contax II

Let's see some more of your classic collection!

There are no stupid questions; stupid answers, sometimes. Essentially, the photograph is converted from color to grey scale, (unless it is already black and white), adjusted in levels, and then given a coloration more commonly used with inks in classic commercial printing, to deliver sepia, and other kinds of tonality you would otherwise do in the darkroom. In the old days some of the toners smelled real bad, like rotten eggs, for example. Photoshop is a far kinder means of achieving the same effects.I can only speak for Photoshop.In Image functions You first convert to greyscale and then select duotones, where you have a variety of presets in duotones, tritones, and quadritones, representing different ink combinations to achieve cold, warm, and other effets. You can also mix your own, or modify established presets to create your own effects. I hope not to have muddied the waters too much. If I missed anything, I'm sure somebody will fill in the blanks :-)

Hi Mike,

Few things are what they seem in eVilBay. On occassion, one gets lucky by capitalizing on sellers mistakes, as others capitalize on yours. My Leica received little action and sold with the Summicron for a crazy price. My Rolleiflex repairman called me a thief (with a smile, of course), and gave it high marks. Sometimes a bad description becomes your gain. The Contax IIa came my way in similar fashion. Other times, I have been on the receiving end of a bad product described as such, but one still hopes. Ha! It is a crap shoot in many levels.