Resolution question

jairy hunter

This may be the wrong place--please direct me if so.

Equipment 20D compact flash: sandisk ultra II

I may be missing a page from the manual but when I download/save images from card via

cardreader to computer, all images from are at 72 pixels/inch (32in and 48in /2330 and

3500 respectively) and I have to go through and change everything. the Digital Rebel

shots are at 180 pixels at baseline. Can someone explain this or tell me how to change the

resolution images are shot? I know ultimately it doesn't matter but it's kind of a pain to

have to change everything off the bat. At least at 180, every single image didn't have to be

changed.

Thanks, J.

the pixel per inch of the file will not make a difference (unless you are printing) just go into PS or some other program, go to Image>image size and uncheck the boxes at the bottom, and change the dpi to what you want (like 300 dpi) and then say ok (the file dimensions will change).

that setting is just a random result of programming i think, it doesn't acually change the pixels captured

The fine JPG option in the camera should output 180ppi images like the 10D. Are you sure that it isn't whatever software you are using to view the images that's changing the ppi?

Are you MOVING the images from the card or are you letting your computer detect the card and do it for you? It's BEST to do it manually.

Try this: RIGHT CLICK on one of those images then, click on <PROPERTIES> and see what it says.

I'll try checking properties--but I manually transfer the images--the cardreader shows up

as a drive/device on my desktop (mac), then I open the drive and move the folders over to

the computer hard drive. iPhoto (mac's proprietary photo mgr) recognizes and tries to

download but I usually refuse that so I can work with the images in photoshop.

The reason I have to change things is because if I am going to print (and I mostly prepare

my images for printing) I was under the impression that they should be printed at least at

200 pixels or higher. I'm open to education if that's wrong.

Maybe the 10d and Rebel are present to send images across at 180, but the 20D at 72?

Thanks,

J.

Hi J, I`ve found its something you just work around, I print daily on a printpix 400d and just `scale to fit` the images for 6x4 etc. Works for me,when you change size without resampling 12x8 become 292dpi, this can be done by making an action in PS and batching a folder of images in one hit. Not sure what software Bob uses, I tried EVU,Zoombrowser, & Breezebrowser auto and manual d/l and 20D always @72. I have another camera the same but 3 other bodies inc D30 & Ixy all 180. Don`t use DPP cause I work sreen res 600x800. Although RAW files tranfer at 180 with the 20d but thats set in the conversion I believe.

good luck

Thanks, I think I figured that out lately, too, but I've tried to avoid opening and re-saving jpg as much as possible due to degradation of the data that occurs with re-saving. I suppose it's possible to keep some of the data and use the 72 pixel version as the working copy and resize to fit as you note above specifically for each size without re-saving each time resolution/picture is changed for printing. I just have to remember to reset the print preview each time fo reach specific situation.

Does any of this make sense or am I off-base?