5D - 2540? now - how much after christmas?

jan_jarczyk

The current going price is $3300. At my local camera store, I was told in thinly veiled words that immediate demand already far exceeded the projected supply of the first few weeks, maybe even months, which makes me guess that will little competition and a lot of demand the price isn't likely to go down by much. Notice how the price of the 1DsII hasn't gone down since it was first announced a year ago, even though market pressure from medium-format is certainly growing. Plan on having to pay at least $3000 for the body. Be sure that your plan includes appropriate lenses if needed.

Ah, all right, wrong currency. If it's 2540 GBP right now, chances are it'll be about 2540 GBP in a few months. Nobody knows what it'll be like during and after next summer, but (like I said) if the pricing of the 1Ds series is any hint, the rice of the 5D won't go down by much.

You can use the code "£" if you use HTML for your post.

<p>

Example: "£2450" gives "£2450"

<p>

I don't think we'll see the price of the 5D drop below $3000, and it might be 6 months to a year before we even see that. Expect to pay $3200-$3300 until at least next spring.

<i><blockquote> I don't think we'll see the price of the 5D drop below $3000, and it

might be 6 months to a year before we even see that. Expect to pay $3200-$3300 until

at least next spring.

</blockquote> </i><p>

Yes. This spring will be 18 months since the introduction of the 20D, and a replacement

might come out at the same time the price drops on the 5D.

Was at a Photoshop seminar today where Rick Sammon spoke. The Canon reps were there with all the artillary, including a 5D with the 17-40 f4L mounted. Spectacular is all I can say. Nice sized, very good feeling body, HUGE LCD (compared to my 10D) and that big, bright, really WIDE screen at 17mm. I already have the lens- now I HAVE to have the body.

Given all the marketing and talk on the street, it is hard to imagine the supply catching up

to demand until after the new year. It took almost 7 months after the 1DMkII shipped to

see some deals popping up, and as others have noted the 1DsII still commands its MAP.

Both of these cameras cost more than the 5D.

How many a month are Canon planning to make? They haven't said as near as I can find.

Especially for those of you in the UK, where Canon cameras are premium priced, there

could be quite a lag until you see some good deals. In the US a vendor like B&H may not

have to lower the price below $3k until the model is near the end of its life.