Macro and portrait Lens

aravind raman

I sold my 105/2.8 Micro Nikkor to get the 90/2.8 Tamron just because I liked the bokeh so much better. I think that has be best bokeh of all three.

I used the 105 sigma on one single roll and the bokeh was harsh. The 105 micro Nikkor does not have great looking bokeh either -- in my experience.

Some folks will actually advice against the Tamron and suggest the Nikon instead (many of them haven't used either/both) -- typical reasons being plastic build, sample variations, "Nikon makes the best lenses" and of course -- gut-feel (that Tamron can never be as good as a Nikon). None of these have been an issue for me.

Macro capability and good bokeh are sort of considered contradictory to each other. Check the archives on this. The Nikkor 105/2.8 is a good example.

You actually can get around this by choosing your backround carefully. I've used the 105/2.8 Nikkor macro with nice results with a very plain, non-demanding backround in soft light. This is what you'd do for most planned portraits anyway.

...also consider investing in a soft-focus filter or two. The 'macro' lenses can be brutal in showing facial detail (some middle-age ladies are not keen on extreme details) and a Tiffen Black-promist 1 or 2 filter will do wonders with a macro lens.

Aravindhan,<br>

<br>

Ill throw the 105/4.0 AIS or AI Micro-Nikkor into the ring.

I bought my friends 105/4.0 AI because he swore by it and

he is at least as picky as I am. I have some issues with

Wimberley lens plates, the Nikon PN-11 tube and Kirkphotos

Macro Flash Arms FB-9 and 10 with the AI version. Ill

recommend the 105/4.0 AIS over the AI because it has a slimmer

barrel so a spacer isn't needed.<br>

<br>

You might like to read the subjective lens reviews here...<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html"

target="_new"><u>http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html</u></a>

<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.naturfotograf.com" target="_new"><u>http://www.naturfotograf.com</u></a><br>

<br>

Bjorn Rorslett has save me from making a few mistakes (like I

almost sold my 20/3.5 AIS Nikkor) and Ive bought several

lenses I would not have and now like very much based on his

reviews.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman. <br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

<em>AaauuugggHHH! --Lex Jenkins<br>

</em><br>

There really isnt anything new under the sun is there? Don't

worry next week there will be more portrait lens questions.

Thank you all for the great replies..

I tried the so called search feature, and it was always showing the canon results, LOL!.

Vivek, I really heard a lot about that lens, but i cannot use the metering available in my camera, with that lens, as i'm using a F80 body. Thanks for the suggestion, i will keep my eyes and ears open for that lens..

I am sure that macro and portrait are two different aspects of photography, but being a student i cannot offered a 200 mm micro or 105 mm Defocus Control lens.

Isn't this a better question than " Nikon Vs Canon" or " When will i get my hands on D200"

Aravind

Thanks, well -- it does flare if you let it, but not so much for portraits -- you can use it without the hood most of the time coz the front element is recessed. For landscapes if you stop down to f11 you'll be fine.

Flare is mostly from the front element and less from internal elements. I guess the new Di version will be less prone to flare.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Whoops.. sorry Yaron, hadn't revisited this thread before today ...

You're quite right. The flowerbud shot was with the 52.5mm PN11 tube, maximum magnification. I paralleled my film plane with the lower plane of the bud to maximize details vs DoF. It was a quite tricky situation shooting this one.