Self timer for Zeiss Ikon

Bjorn , Take the knurled dial and turn it clockwise.You will go past a set of numbers ,each is one second. I believe this goes to 12, or 15 sec. After the spring is wound ,push the button on the side which starts the clock works inside. A plunger will come out of the nipple and fire the stutter. The object at the bottom of the photo is the nipple that screws into the shutter release.This works on most non electric shutter cameras that take a cable release. You will need a adapter for Nikon F and Leica ,releases that use a large collar.

There were many variations of those.

My dad had one similar to that one, screw the nipple in the shutter relese, then just set the time in the dial, press the button on the left and wait.

I rememeber he also had one for B with 2 dials, one for the self timer and one for the time in B.

These mechanical clock self-timers are mostly gadgets rather than useful photo devices. The ONLY external self-timer you should use is the GITZO (made in France) hydraulic one. Search the Internet, you will see it.

One more thing : always be VERY careful when using these clocky thingies. Their plungers often extend too long and with too much force, that might cause severe damage to the camera shutter release mechanism.

In other words, put them in the trash bin.