Monopod Recommendation?

hayward

I am interested in buying a monopod for use with my D70 and 70-200

VR an Sigma 50-500 HSM. I have a cheap pod with the shakes and want

something very sturdy to replace it. Weight isn't a concern, so I'll

rule out anything carbon fiber. I'd also like something that has a

tilt head or that a tilt head can be added on to. Plus, I'm 6' 1"

and want something that is realtively tall.

It seems like I've seen one-piece monopods on fields and in stores,

but haven't seen anything at B&H. Are they still available?

I'm 6'4" and have trouble with monopods height choices as well. I've found that adding the slik quick grip adds 5" and puts most of them at the right height. I can't recommend one over the other, they all serve teir purpose, but the addition of the slik head helps for us tall ones. If the quick grip becomes a pain, then i usually run a ball head, most of the time lose so i can swivel anywhere anytime.

I have and use a monopod made by Gitzo that I think is called "The Trecker" It has a small ball head built into is grip and it works very well. I use this pod as walking staff here in our Alaskan bush it comis with a snow pad which you can put on the bottom. This is a great piece of equment. It can extend to 64" and as small as 30" which then can serve as a baton if the need should ever arise. I have used it to walk up streams and to use in places where no tripods are allow in parts of Italy. When I bought mine it was around $ 100. Hope this helps.

Hi John, I use the Bogen/Manfrotto 3218 monopod with the bogen/manfroto 3232 swivel head attached. According to B & H, it is 67.3 inches long when fully extended. I would add a quick release clamp to the swivel head so you can attach your caamera or long lens to the QR clamp. You can get one of these at Really Right Stuff or Kirk Enterprises. The RRS web site shows you how to add the QR clamp to the Manfrotto swivel head. I use this set up all the time with my 300mm f 4.0 lens both with and without a 1.4 x tc. A monopod is a great thing to use when a tripod is out of the question. Joe Smith

I have been using my Manfrotto monopod for 20 years and it is as solid as the day I bought it and almost as smooth. The cork/rubber foot came off about 3 years ago and I keep putting off that 5 minute repair! It would be handy to have it fixed when on pavement or stone.

I am 6'-2" and I always have to retract it about 1/2" from full extension. I have never used it with a head of any sort.

I'm 6'5", and I've been fond of my Bogen 3245 'auto monopod' for the last 6-7 years. I have the Bogen 3009 mini ball head on mine; I can't recommend the head as 'all things to all people', but it came with the table top tripod and the three of them make a good travel set.

I usually find myself backing off of the max height a tad. The 3245 has a very quick adjustment on the top section; squeeze the grip and it slides up and down readily. This works well for me as a two camera shooter. Squeeze and drop the monopod down to chest height while bringing the second camera into play.

I too have the Gitzo Monotrek (1560). I got it very recently and haven't used it yet, but it is quite tall. I'm 3-4 inches shorter than you and this pod goes 2-3 inches higher than I need (for full eye level). It is not the sturdiest one on the planet though and quite thin. That's the price of lightness I guess. The included ball head is rated for only around 4.4 lb. I'll test it with the 180/2.8 to see how it holds up and post here later.